Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 with second monitor crash and freeze

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 smellyskater

smellyskater

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:53 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:41 PM

Good evening everyone,

I have a dell xps 15 L502x running windows 7 Home SP1

It has a second monitor connected, doubling the screen side by side. Same resolution - 1920 x 1080.

I can be running only internet explorer or a video or a mixture of things and it will crash leaving a colour screen on the second monitor only. Different colours or a mix or a crazy pattern. Most time I have to turn the power off and hard reset but occasionally it will come back to life, but rarely. I have unplugged the second monitor and it's fine.

I have speccy to monitor temps, everything normal around 60/70 degrees. 

I've updated the driver direct from dell and NVidia I've updated other drivers I can think of. I've got the latest bios too. 

I've got 16Gb RAM, SSD as the main hdd and it's been cleaned inside and had the heat sink repasted. The issue was before this too so I don't think that is the cause.

I have just put on an bit defender in the last couple of days after only using windows essentials but this hasn't found anything after completing a full scan. 

Please help, sometimes it does it every hour, sometimes only once a day or less.

Also..... When the computer was nice and shiny and new I could play call of duty full 1080 no problems.... I can't even start playing now without it crashing at a basic setting. 

Thanks in advance. 

Ben

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:53 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:48 PM

Please provide this information so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:52 PM

Windows 7 Home SP1 64 Bit

Always been this version

Full retail

Laptop about 4 years old

Last install over 1/2 years ago

i7 2820QM

16 GB Ram

nVida GeForce GT 540M

Dell XPS L502X

Laptop

Hope this helps! Thanks

Attached Files

#4 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:21 PM

I've tried reverting back to an old driver for the graphics, this seems to cause less crashes. It's about 1 year old driver from the NVidia site.

#5 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:36 AM

I'm still looking for answers if anyone has a suggestion

Thanks!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 04:11 AM

Your UEFI/BIOS (version A12) dates from 2012.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.

E: drive only has about 1½% free space.  Windows likes 15% free space in order to perform stuff "behind the scenes" without adversely affecting the system's performance.  Please free up 15% on ALL hard drives (you can get away with 10% on larger drives and won't notice a large performance penalty)

Please install drivers for this device: 

Not Available    ACPI\SMO8800\1    The drivers for this device are not installed.

This is most likely the ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor (accelerometer) for your system.  It will be available at the Dell Support site for your system.

No memory dumps in the uploaded reports.  There were at least 2 mentioned in the WER section of MSINFO32 (21 June and 08 July).

It appears that the system is not collecting memory dumps.

Also, there are many, many Live Kernel events in the WER section of MSINFO32.

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

Hi, Many thanks for the detailed reply.

I'm ok on the computer but you lost me on some things. The BIOS is the latest on the Dell site. The full drive is only an external I have for backing up everything and is usually not plugged in. The Primary and secondary drives in the laptop are about 50%.

Tried to follow your link to Microsoft support and get this message - This page doesn’t exist

I've changed temp monitoring program and this has made a difference! Normal use, explorer open, Outlook, iTunes - everything is in the 50/60 degree range for CPU. Peaking at 74. Slightly less for GPU and HDD about 30/40 degrees.

Not sure how I would go about installing the unknown device. I have no idea what a ST Microelectronics Free Fall Sensor is or why I have it!? Is it normal to have that? I've been into Device Manager and tried to let windows find the driver but it doesn't work.

I've attached the file. Hope this shows something. I've not got a clue!

Thanks again

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:33 PM

Leave the external drive disconnected while troubleshooting

This link works for me:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

If not for you, then search for "KB 2028504" (without the quotes) and it should get you to the same page (it's not necessary for you to find this page, I just included it as a reference).

Temps look OK to me - but you'll need to see them just before the system freezes/crashes in order to be sure.

ST Microelectronics driver (helps keep the hard drive from being damaged if dropped/knocked around):

- go to this page:  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/product-support/product/xps-l502x/drivers/advanced

- Change OS selection to Windows 7 (64 bit)

- scroll down to System Utilities and the download should be there.

Here's a direct download link to it:  http://downloads.dell.com/utility/R292318.exe

Lot's of networking errors just before the system shudowns.

Start by downloading fresh networking drivers.

Then uninstall the current drivers and then install the freshly downloaded drivers

#9 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:58 AM

I've uninstalled all the network drives and put freshly downloaded ones on.

Also installed the missing driver so it doesn't come up with unknown device.

I'm going to have a look through the page you sent on these kind of errors.

I've just restarted and opened explorer to find a file and the second monitor did go blank like usual when it crashes. However, this time it flickered and show the error bubble on the task bar - "Display driver stopped responding and has recovered. Display driver NVIDIA windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 285.77 stopped responding and has successfully recovered."

Temps look normal - CPU 58/59 GPU 53

Edited by smellyskater, 14 July 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:29 AM

That display driver recovered error is actually a BSOD crash (without the BSOD).  It'll be seen as a STOP 0x117 error in the system logs.  If it can't recover, then it faults over to the STOP 0x116 error (where you will see a BSOD).

Here's some info about that error and some troubleshooting steps:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/bsod-kernel-dump-analysis-debugging-information/35-video-tdr-timeout-0x116-0x117.html#post29532

#11 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:56 PM

Thanks again usasma, I've followed the link and had a run through the suggestions, run some stress tests and still nothing.

I've reinstalled drivers for network, GPU new and old, from Dell and from the NVIDIA site.

I really have no idea what to do now. I can't work and it's becoming an expensive issue.

How do I know if the GPU is just broken and needs to be replaced?! Is there a definitive test?

Totally lost and need some fresh ideas. Usasma, I really appreciate your input. Thanks again.

#12 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

One recommendation has been to run the system file checker. This has found faults but I don't know how to read the file. I've attached it.

Attached Files

• Attached File  CBS.zip   221.64KB   0 downloads

#13 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

Managed to find how to read the file but it means nothing to me!

Issues are:

2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    00000353 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    00000355 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    00000357 [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:24{12}]"utc.app.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    00000358 [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_250_for_KB3068708~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.3068708-814_neutral_GDR"
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    0000035a [SR] Cannot repair member file [l:66{33}]"telemetry.ASM-WindowsDefault.json" of Microsoft-Windows-Unified-Telemetry-Client, Version = 6.1.7601.18869, pA = PROCESSOR_ARCHITECTURE_AMD64 (9), Culture neutral, VersionScope = 1 nonSxS, PublicKeyToken = {l:8 b:31bf3856ad364e35}, Type neutral, TypeName neutral, PublicKey neutral in the store, hash mismatch
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    0000035b [SR] This component was referenced by [l:162{81}]"Package_250_for_KB3068708~31bf3856ad364e35~amd64~~6.1.1.0.3068708-814_neutral_GDR"
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    0000035e [SR] Repair complete
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    0000035f [SR] Committing transaction
2015-07-15 01:23:43, Info                  CSI    00000363 [SR] Verify and Repair Transaction completed. All files and registry keys listed in this transaction  have been successfully repaired

Anyone have an idea?

Attached Files

#14 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:11 PM

Second screen does this and many other colours!

Attached Files

#15 smellyskater

smellyskater
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

Anyone have an idea? I'm going crazy!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users