Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

adjust access rights

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 smjrhp1

smjrhp1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

I had orginally installed McAffee securtiy systems and noticed I couldin't install updates on certain programs.  So, I removed McAffee and tried to install AVAST and got this  "Please fix this issue to continue the installation",  "how to adjust access rights for "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINES\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services'registry key".
How can I fix this, so I install avast?
Dell Precision M4600
32 g ram
i7  2.20 ghz
64 bit opt sys
win 7 pro

Thanks for your  time.
Jim

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:44 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

Jim,

I think the first step is to go to the McAfee site and download their removal tools and run them. Then see if you need to do anything else after rebooting. Many security programs leave bits and pieces when they are just uninstalled via the control panel.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:30 AM

Hey you can easily uninstall McAfee antivirus first. if you want to keep both antivirus then disable fully for one hour to McAfee and install Avast antivirus easily

#4 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:09 AM

I can't recommend having more than one active scanning anti virus program on a system. They are trying to do the same things in many of the same places at the same times and the conflicts can cause more problems then they solve.

Dick

Dick E

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:59 AM

Hey you can easily uninstall McAfee antivirus first. if you want to keep both antivirus then disable fully for one hour to McAfee and install Avast antivirus easily

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:19 AM

Dick is on the correct path, you need to uninstall McAfee and Avast first, then install Avast.  

You will want to use the McAfee product removal tool.

Obviously you will need to do this while offline as you will be without an antivirus program until you install Avast.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 smjrhp1

smjrhp1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 19 July 2015 - 12:39 AM

1st, I apologize for letting this go and not responding earlier.
got sent off to work in a different location and only now was able to get access to internet.
After trying to use Mcaffees removal tool, I had to use Mcaffee support (remote) to get the laptops funtioning again.
They're both working fine, now.

Again,  I apologize.

2nd, Thank you for the responces.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,007 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

Not a problem.  I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve this.

#9 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,176 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2015 - 01:13 PM

What  ^ he said :)

Dick E

0 user(s) are reading this topic