Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Black Screen Windows 7 Desktop

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Ben_26

Ben_26

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:06 PM

Hi

While i have been fussing about  my Acer Laptop Caution on the Hard Drive Test.

I did a Hard Drive test for my Desktop PC which was Good but on starting it up yesterday

smoke came out of the Back at the top smouldering smell and something had fried

There's Irony! :wacko:

So I have now purchased a  second hand Self Build Desktop PC  for an older Family member

who just surf's the internet. Its Description is...........

Desktop PC, Monitor, Keyboard and Mouse.
DFI LAN Party RDX200 socket 939 motherboard.
Fresh quality thermal paste add to all fans etc. Crossfire ready.
AMD 64bit 3000+ socket 939 Processor.
Again fresh quality thermal paste added.
1Gb Corsair Platinum Twin X RAM, across all 4 channels.
Seagate 320 Sata Hard drive.
Windows 7 Professional 64bit.
All updates as to 20/06/2015 including service pack 1.
Nvidia Geforce 7300 LE graphics card.
Dell 17 inch monitor.
Key board and mouse.
Case does have scratches and paint loss consistent with use and storage.
Ideal silver suffer or second computer.

-------------------------------------------------

Computer started up well , Checked Performance of computer which was fine ,although  screen went black couple of times with a notice that a driver had stopped working, but re-started ok.

Opened Internet  Explorer  downloaded a Antivirus  and as i was scanning with Antivirus checked documents

and opened the default Video at which point the Screen went blank at 23% Scanned, so, rebooted it,it comes on again

but this time Black screen ,that's all i get now it does start up with all the 4  red lights which change to 1 red.

I took out the Battery and restarted it,it then went to the DFI LAN Party RDX200 on the screen so needed to press F1  ,but, (didn't have keyboard ready) :mellow:

I had to turn the power off as i needed to go grab the Mouse and Keyboard (as it was in another location)

So Powered  up again, once replacing the Battery, and all 4 lights stayed on this time and would not go down to 1 red light .So i have taken the battery out over night

and will see if it will work Tomorrow.

I would like some ideas please on this problem   thank-you Forum

Ben_26

Edited by Ben_26, 08 July 2015 - 04:10 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

Sounds like a summary of all the reasons for NOT buying "2d-hand" systems with older components, IMO.

Did you see this system in a functional state...before you acquired it?

Did you buy it from a person you know...or from some "business entity" who wanted to exchange it for money?

Is this a system coming off-lease?  If so, you should have a 60-day warranty period.

What "battery" are you referring to?

Louis

#3 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:39 PM

Hi Louis nice to hear from you again ,

You made me chuckle...Thank-you ! :) Guilty as Charged

Yes i agree with your post about buying second-hand not great idea but just for a play around for Mother , i did see it working and he showed it working had a play on it for some time.

No i don't know the guy to be honest it was advertised and it didn't have a Brand name  he told me it was a Self Build he offered it

in a local online mag for 50 Pounds Sterling . BTW ,The battery i mean is like you find on  Car  Key alarm  Battery FOB key .

The guy has offered to replace the mother board with another in a few days to fix it!And re-install Windows 7

Ben_26

Edited by Ben_26, 08 July 2015 - 04:43 PM.

#4 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:14 AM

Hi All

any ideas would be greatly appreciated as to what is going on with this Desktop PC.

Thanks

Ben_26

Edited by Ben_26, 09 July 2015 - 06:15 AM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:25 AM

Hmmm...his offer to replace motherboard...makes it seem (to me) as if he knew that he had a motherboard problem, otherwise there is no reason to assume such.  PSUs fail, motherboards fail...it's been a long time since I had a Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939) CPU but CPUs fail infrequently, but they don't last forever.

Since he seems to have decided to try to make things right, I would give him the leeway to try to satisfy his customer :).

I didn't mean to sound as if I'm against refurbished computers (coming off-lease and are certified as refurbished) because earlier this year I bought two and have no complaints about them...just wanted to remind all that the old caveat "let the buyer beware" still has some validity when it comes to buying items from unknown, possibly unreliable, persons or entities :).

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,493 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:30 AM

Hello Ben, sorry to hear of the problems. I regularly work on these older units for families that cannot afford new units so I sympathize with you.

First, please bear in mind that this forum is manned by volunteers who don't get any monetary payment; they donate their time and experience free of charge, but have families, jobs and other responsibilities, so sometimes a bit of patience is required on the part of an anxious poster. :cowboy:

Ooops, Hamluis just beat me to the post. Oh well, I will continue.

First, try to boot into Safe Mode; the reason for this is that if your unit is experiencing driver conflicts/corruptions, this loads only the bear essential system drivers that will get the computer booted. If you can successfully boot into Safe Mode, that is good because you have a faulty driver/system file corrupted or missing. If you still cannot boot into Safe Mode, Hamluis' suggestion is the best route; let the previous owner try a fix. At least he is willing to do that, so he seems to be responsible. Let us know how it goes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:23 AM

Hmmm...his offer to replace motherboard...makes it seem (to me) as if he knew that he had a motherboard problem, otherwise there is no reason to assume such.  PSUs fail, motherboards fail...it's been a long time since I had a Athlon 64 3000+ (socket 939) CPU but CPUs fail infrequently, but they don't last forever.

Since he seems to have decided to try to make things right, I would give him the leeway to try to satisfy his customer :).

I didn't mean to sound as if I'm against refurbished computers (coming off-lease and are certified as refurbished) because earlier this year I bought two and have no complaints about them...just wanted to remind all that the old caveat "let the buyer beware" still has some validity when it comes to buying items from unknown, possibly unreliable, persons or entities :).

Let us know how it goes.

Louis

Hi hamluis sorry it's been a while to get back to you,Just to let you know it was just tongue in cheek in my post about "Guilty " Just my UK sense of humour so it was just in fun!You and all the other members on the forum are incredibly goob in helping out peoples problems with PC'sAnd i really do appreciate all yours and others help at Bleepingcomputer.com all my questions are answered very fast which i didn't expect so a big thank-you to all.

Thank-you hamluis for your time and your warnings on buying secondhand PC's i'm glad yours worked out well too.I  do agree with your thinking and warnings.

So far the PC is working again after taking the battery out over night  it did stop at one point with a blue screen restarted itself but after chkdsk reported no errors

it seems to be working fine now although as i realize now the Memory of 4 slots of 250mb of Ram is  way too low, i would imagine, to run Windows 7 properly . Once i add the extra Ram of  2-4GB  it will be much better i'm sure.I was lucky to get a Genuine Seller who does worry if anything goes wrong and will put it right

with no hesitation, which may not always be the case  with the Big Companies from some past experience!

All the Best

Ben_26

#8 Ben_26

Ben_26
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 06:29 AM

Hello Ben, sorry to hear of the problems. I regularly work on these older units for families that cannot afford new units so I sympathize with you.

First, please bear in mind that this forum is manned by volunteers who don't get any monetary payment; they donate their time and experience free of charge, but have families, jobs and other responsibilities, so sometimes a bit of patience is required on the part of an anxious poster. :cowboy:

Ooops, Hamluis just beat me to the post. Oh well, I will continue.

First, try to boot into Safe Mode; the reason for this is that if your unit is experiencing driver conflicts/corruptions, this loads only the bear essential system drivers that will get the computer booted. If you can successfully boot into Safe Mode, that is good because you have a faulty driver/system file corrupted or missing. If you still cannot boot into Safe Mode, Hamluis' suggestion is the best route; let the previous owner try a fix. At least he is willing to do that, so he seems to be responsible. Let us know how it goes.

Hi ranchhand i do take your point about the Forum and being patient too.Like i said to hamluis You all do a great job on the forum and the best place to come to to get professional answers too. I have followed your advice all seems to be working well now but will get some more Ram soon!

Thanks for your reply and sorry for delay in getting back to you ,Good Luck from the UK

Ben_26

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,819 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 11:43 AM

Glad to hear that it's now working fine...systems sometimes develop "the hiccups", for want of a better description.  Let us know if you have any problems in the future :).

Happy computing :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users