Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Using different disk to reinstall Vista

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 mark312

mark312

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 03:54 PM

Hi

Background: I have a Dell PC running Vista Business 32bit SP2. The hard drive was partitioned into two roughly equal parts, C: and D: and the C: drive held the operating system. Over the last few years C: has filled up, even though I moved all the file system to D:. I tried to rearrange the partition sizes but wasn't successful, so C: is now full to bursting. I have decided to do a clean reinstall of Vista to get rid of all the clutter on the hard drive, not to mention all the stuff that we have accumulated that we no longer need.

Trouble is I can't find the original Vista disk that came with this pc. I do have a Vista disk from a deceased laptop that I was hoping to use, but it is a Home Premium SP1 version.

Does anyone know for certain whether I can use this alternative disk?

I will be grateful for any informed advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 3,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

You are suppose to need the same version, but possibly you may be able to use what you being it is from a dead machine you owned.  You would need the COA number off the bottom of the lap top, but don't jump to it wait for more input.  The other factor would be what drivers are on the disk, like I said wait for more input.

Phil

If you don't stand for the flag then you will fall for anything!

#3 MarkMCS

MarkMCS

• Members
  • 161 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

If you contact Dell online, they will provide you copies of the OEM disks that came with your pc. Even out of warranty, they will do this one time free of charge.  OEM disks are specific to manufacturer and in the case of Dell, drivers are on a separate disk.

I would recommend this to avoid any headaches.

Even if you installed the other disk successfully and got all necessary drivers for you machine, I don't think you would be able to activate Windows, as it was already validated for another machine and wouldn't be a 'legal' copy.

Edited by MarkMCS, 09 July 2015 - 08:35 AM.

A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing.  -Emo Phillips

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users