Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Portable hard drive problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Hennie27

Hennie27

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:36 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:03 PM

I always connect my portable hard drive to my laptop to upload tv series onto it. I will then plug the portable into my router and everybody in the house can access the stuff on it. Today I wanted to upload some stuff again from my laptop to the portable but my laptop doesn't recognize the portable hard drive. I tried it on the other laptop in the house with the same result. When I plug it into the router usb port I can access it but not when plugged into any of the laptops.

One laptop has Win 7 and other Win 8. The portable hard drive works when connected to my router usb port and when connected to my Samsung tv usb port. It is not accessible when plugged into any laptop. I have always used it with my laptop without any problems.

I have tried a new cable but it has the same result.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Citizen_WD

Citizen_WD

Authorized Western Digital Rep

• Members
  • 138 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hello and welcome Hennie27, 

First of all, what is the brand and model of your hard drive, can you access Device Manager and Disk Management to see if (and how ) is the HDD displayed there? You can take a screenshot of Disk Management or at least describe what you see there. Try to assign it a letter, If the drive is in RAW format, you can try to run Linux Live CD, gain access to your media and back it up. If it's not that important, you can go ahead and format the drive. After that it will be a good idea to test it's SMART status with a program provided by the manufacturer. Keep me posted and I'll try my best to help further. Citizen_WD

#3 Hennie27

Hennie27
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

Hello and welcome Hennie27, 

First of all, what is the brand and model of your hard drive, can you access Device Manager and Disk Management to see if (and how ) is the HDD displayed there? You can take a screenshot of Disk Management or at least describe what you see there. Try to assign it a letter, If the drive is in RAW format, you can try to run Linux Live CD, gain access to your media and back it up. If it's not that important, you can go ahead and format the drive. After that it will be a good idea to test it's SMART status with a program provided by the manufacturer. Keep me posted and I'll try my best to help further. Citizen_WD

Hi it is a Western Digital 1TB. Looks like 1113B. It does not show up in Disk Management. It shows in Device Manager under Portable Devices as Drive G with a yellow exclamation mark.

There is a lot of information and files on that I cannot afford to lose.

Thanks for assistance

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:02 AM

Were you able to recover your data? Did you try a live linux disk as Citizen_WD posted?

#5 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:36 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:43 AM

What does it say when you click the drive G with a yellow exclamation mark in device manager?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users