Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Multiple Chrome.exe processes

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 weybrew

weybrew

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:39 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:58 PM

I have used Chrome for almost 2 years without a problem. Now, in the last 2 months, Chrome has gotten woefully slow loading all web pages and crashes frequently. I have tried to uninstall/reinstall multiple times without improving anything. I have tried creating a new user profile multiple times without any improvement. The only clue I have found is multiple "Chrome.exe" processes running per Task Manager > Processes (Windows 7). I tried deleting all that seemed inactive, but, again no help. Help would be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2015 - 02:58 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:07 PM

Multiple instances of chrome.exe running is not unusual. In fact there have been several articles that the Chrome browser team is addressing that well known annoyance. How soon that will happen is the great unknown right now.

Every tab you have open and every browser add-on or extension gets it's own instance of chrome.exe. Even closed tabs will still stay active as .exe's because they are listed in the recent closed tabs list.

Have you tried uninstalling chrome completely and reinstalling it?

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:15 PM

Thanks so much, Animal, for your super quick reply. Did not know about the .exe repetition, but I have tried multiple times to uninstall/reinstall and I always get the same sloth-speed Chrome.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:39 PM

I just double checked I have currently 46 tabs loaded and 8 extensions. One of those extensions is called The Great Suspender. I then went and looked in task manager and see only 20 instances chrome.exe. I can absolutely tell you that was never the case before. I just recently added The Great Suspender and like the performance of it, but I had never verified it's performance till now.

You might give it a try and see if it helps. But there may be something else going on that somebody else may know of.

The Great Suspender Chrome Add On: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/the-great-suspender/klbibkeccnjlkjkiokjodocebajanakg?hl=en

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:10 PM

You may have foistware or spyware running in the background; some of this stuff runs without your knowledge and can drastically slow internet surfing. I suggest, for starters, running in this order:

> JRT malware removal

> ADWclelaner

>Rkill

These three can be found for free download Here.

>Malwarebytes Here.

Start with those and see if it makes any difference.

Edited by ranchhand_, 08 July 2015 - 02:12 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for your input, Ranchhand_. I'm familiar with Malwarebytes but the others are new to me. I'll give them all a try.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 06:49 AM

- Sounds like your harddisk is failing. Run  Piriform's SPECCY to see that.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Click "File", "Publish snapshot", "Yes" and post the weblink that pops up in your next reply.

#8 weybrew

weybrew
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 84 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Thanks, Willy22.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/6EUc6GD2FD7GXecImG7lqLS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users