Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Facebook redirects to Play Store.

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 YukonJon

YukonJon

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:23 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:01 PM

Everytime I open a link threw facebook soon after it will leave the page and open the app store. Any tips on fixing this would be appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:23 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:37 PM

What phone and version of Android are you running? It appears somehow you have set Google play as the app for handling links in facebook. I don't use the facebook app, but I can try to help you fix this.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#3 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:43 PM

Galaxy Note 4 on 5.0.1. Now what happens is Ill open a link. The link opens and I can see what I was trying to read and about ten seconds later play store opens showing me a new game or app to download.

#4 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:33 PM

Okay that's really weird. The 10 second lag thing. So it's not what I suspected. Let me do some digging and see if I can parse this issue out. Hopefully maybe somebody else has seen this behavior in a Note 4.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#5 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:03 PM

Ill give you an update but it seems like deleting apps off Facebook that you have allowed to retrieve your personal information fixes the problem.

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:09 PM

That sounds more like malware that anything else. Do you have an Antivirus or Antimalware app installed you can run a scan with?

I'm not saying it's malware, but the behavior is weird.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#7 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:55 PM

I did a scan with avast and nothing came up.

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Did you install any apps just prior to this happening?

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:55 AM

None that I'm aware of but it was happening for awhile.. I went threw and removed anything I didn't need and anything that may have been recent. Nothing changed.

#10 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:51 AM

So it's back to opening Google Play, whenever you click a link in Facebook again? Or it appears to have stopped and nothing you cleaned up made it start behaving weird again?

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#11 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 09:55 AM

It seems to have gone away after removing those apps. I cant believe it myself because it was happening for a month. I think there was something in there about advertisements causing the redirect.

#12 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

That's what everything I was able to dig up was pointing at. That the links had embedded advertisements. That in turn generated opening Google Play and direct you to an app/product. But I couldn't find a solid remedy. Just cause and effect symptoms and identification.

Since I don't have Facebook installed I didn't have a way of doing any trial and error testing. Just digging through Google queries.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#13 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 04:08 PM

Yeah me to. Thanks for the help. If anything changes I will post an update.

Edited by YukonJon, 10 July 2015 - 04:08 PM.

#14 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 34,275 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

You're quite welcome from the Bleeping Computer community.

Yes please let us know if you have any negative changes later on.

By the way I forgot to say Welcome to Bleeping Computer. :)

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#15 YukonJon

YukonJon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Thank you and will do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users