Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 - Frequent hangs requiring hard reboot

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 kikaman33

kikaman33

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

For the past couple of months my PC has had quite a few hangs which require hard reboots to get it working again.  Generally, but not always, this seems to happen when I am downloading a large file -- both through my browser and more frequently when using a download manager such as Jdownloader.

I have attached the sysnativefilecollection info.  Unfortunately Perfmon would not respond. The application just hung and was listed as not responding.

Info about my PC is below:

-- Windows 7 -- originally pre-installed

-- X64 operating system

-- Age of system: 7/2012

-- Age of OS: 2012

-- CPU: Intel Core i7-3770

-- Videocard: Nvidia GeForce GT 640

-- Motherboard: Dell OYJPT1

-- Power supply -- not sure how to determine this

-- System Manufacturer: Dell

-- Model Number: XPS 8500

-- Type: Desktop

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:24 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:47 PM

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:44 PM

Thanks for your response.  Attached is the requested file.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:14 AM

Many, many, many problems with acvpn (to include it's downloader) - A VPN software that may be associated with Juniper networks.

Uninstall that and see if it stops the problems.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:44 AM

Is that the Cisco AnyConnect VPN Client?

I am concerned about uninstalling that as it is how I connect to the server of a client I work with.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:58 AM

The uninstall would be temporary.  Just take it off long enough to see if that stops the hangs.

Then, when reinstalling, install from a fresh copy downloaded from the Cisco website.

#7 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

Thanks.  I uninstalled the VPN software but problems still there.  Noticed new and unusual sound from my PC and a couple of error messages: 

shwiconxp9106 - Load configuration file failed

And

Chrome App error: "the exception breakpoint  A breakpoint has been reached (0x80000003) occurred in the application at location OxO2b983ra" not sure if that is exactly correct but close.

Had to hard reboot again.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:48 AM

shwiconxp9106 belongs to your Card Reader software.

Try updating that.

I don't think that Chrome is to blame - unless it's loading when the system starts.
An easy way to troubleshoot is to reset Chrome to defaults, then uninstall/reinstall a fresh copy.

#9 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 09:59 AM

I looked under device manager but did not see a card reader.  Could it be one of the USB controllers?  There are many listed.

Thanks for your help.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

How about this:

The process known as IconUtility ShwiconXP Application belongs to software Multimedia Card Reader or IconUtility or Arrivalguides To Go by Alcor Micro (www.alcormicro.com).

Any of that sound familiar?

#11 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

Looking at my specs there is indeed a media card reader.  Will try and update the drivers for it.

Having lots of problems though.  BDOS leading to a black screen saying reboot and selected proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press any key.

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 06:13 AM

Start with these free diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

I'm wondering about a hard drive problem, but it could be other hardware also.

#13 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 08:55 PM

My system passed the bootable memory diagnostics tests with no problems -- 5 passes with no errors.

Having a little difficulty with the hard drive diagnostics.  When I boot from the seagate diagnostic iso disc that I created, the hard drives aren't recognized by the program.  Got a Seagate dianostics program to work through windows and the hard drive passed although my computer crashed before the program was complete (I believe it was investigating the external drive).

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:20 AM

Sometimes the bootable disk won't work and you'll have to use the Windows version.

As it's crashing with the external drive - have you tested the system for stability (hangs) after removing the external drive?

#15 kikaman33

kikaman33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 20 July 2015 - 09:18 PM

I removed the external drive -- still crashing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users