Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Accidentally deleted folder from SD card using laptop, can't recover!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 myvelouriaftw

myvelouriaftw

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:22 AM

Hi! I use a 32GB SD card in my Android phone and it was full so I hooked up the USB to my laptop to delete some files. I deleted a few folders and then I realized I accidentally deleted a big folder full of photos and videos, about 3GB worth. I deleted 3 folders all together, and the big one took a few seconds and I realized why, it didn't send it to the recycle bin and it didn't ask me if I wanted to like the other small folders. 

I used Recuva and it allowed me to recover the other 2 small folders but the big one didn't show up at ALL which is absolutely confusing and extremely, extremely upsetting. I stopped using the SD card, and it was completely full, and after deleting the big folder I've got about 3GB available, I hope there is a way to recover that folder because I don't know where else to look or why it wont show up in Recuva yet the other 2 small folders did. 

Is there any way to view and recover the lost folder? Thank you in advance, you guys have helped me tremendously before. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:54 AM

Try Easeus Data Recovery. I believe it will let you recover 1GB for free to see if the files can be recovered. After that you need to purchase a key. Never recover files back to the SD card or they will be permanently lost.

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm

#3 myvelouriaftw

myvelouriaftw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:54 AM

Try Easeus Data Recovery. I believe it will let you recover 1GB for free to see if the files can be recovered. After that you need to purchase a key. Never recover files back to the SD card or they will be permanently lost.

http://www.easeus.com/data-recovery/card-recovery-software/sd-card-recovery-freeware.htm

Hi! Thank you, I've just tried this, I ran the scan and the 3 folders showed up, the 2 small ones were recoverable but the 3rd folder showed up and when I clicked it, it said there were no files in it :o. I ran a deep scan and it recovered about 1GB of files from that folder I believe. Theres still that 2GB missing, is it bad to repeat scanning? Cause I might try that again. Thank you again!

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:13 AM

On a SD card I don't think it would matter to rescan. You can try a utility called PhotoRec that may have a better chance of recovering your files. Download Testdisk for Windows. Not the 64bit version.  In the unzipped folder you will find PhotoRec. Do not use Qphotorec as PhotoRec is more powerful at recovering files. Never recover files back to the SD drive.

Edit: Files recovered will have generic names with the correct extension. You will have to open each one and rename it accordingly.

Edit: I am not sure if the phone SD card is non-partitioned media as the video shows for a camera. If Photorec automatically detects Intel try that first. Here is another page on Photorec recovery.

PhotoRec Step by Step

PhotoRec video

Edited by JohnC_21, 11 July 2015 - 09:19 AM.

#5 myvelouriaftw

myvelouriaftw
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

On a SD card I don't think it would matter to rescan. You can try a utility called PhotoRec that may have a better chance of recovering your files. Download Testdisk for Windows. Not the 64bit version.  In the unzipped folder you will find PhotoRec. Do not use Qphotorec as PhotoRec is more powerful at recovering files. Never recover files back to the SD drive.

Edit: Files recovered will have generic names with the correct extension. You will have to open each one and rename it accordingly.

Edit: I am not sure if the phone SD card is non-partitioned media as the video shows for a camera. If Photorec automatically detects Intel try that first. Here is another page on Photorec recovery.

PhotoRec Step by Step

PhotoRec video

I will definitely try this, but before I do I have a question! Can I backup all the files on my SD card to my laptop or would that count as using the SD card and risk overwriting the lost data that I'm trying to recover on the SD card? I just want to back up the rest of my folders/files because I'm so afraid of losing anything else from that SD card. Thank you so much for helping me, you're great :)

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,286 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 02:27 PM

You can copy all files off the SD card. As long as you are not writing anything back to the card and only reading data you should be okay.

#7 Bailifei

Bailifei

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 09:48 PM

Hi! Thank you, I've just tried this, I ran the scan and the 3 folders showed up, the 2 small ones were recoverable but the 3rd folder showed up and when I clicked it, it said there were no files in it :o. I ran a deep scan and it recovered about 1GB of files from that folder I believe. Theres still that 2GB missing, is it bad to repeat scanning? Cause I might try that again. Thank you again!

I think you may check the "raw" files to see if the photos are there.  easeus data recovery will put files there if the file system, such as name, size, etc., was damaged.

http://www.easeus.com/resource/raw-file-recovery.htm

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users