Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Startup/Reformat Failure

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 smitty54017

smitty54017

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:08 AM

I've encountered a problem I've never had before.

Over the last couple of days, I would come home to my computer and find the screen blank and the computer unresponsive (moving mouse or pressing keys wouldn't bring the monitor out of hibernation).  I would restart, and it would work fine, until being left idle again.

This morning, I encountered the same issue.  However, when restarting, the computer would freeze.  I then attempted a startup repair, which also froze.  I then attempted a system restore, which again, froze the computer.  I then attempted to reinstall windows.  Again, it froze.  I then attempted to reformat.  Again, it froze.

Bad hard drive?  Or worse?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:24 AM

Without having an OS on there anymore the only thing I can think of to do some testing on the hard drive is going to be a live linux distro.  Or maybe your hard drive's manufacturer has a bootable testing platform.  Maybe JohnC will drop by soon and give you some ideas on what to try.  It could be Bad hard drive/bad memory/ bad PSU.

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:35 AM

Hello,

I would first test the hard drive for problems. Download Parted Magic here. Burn the iso and then boot the disk. On the desktop is a icon called disk health. Double click that and do the short and long generic tests. Post the log. Look under the attributes tab for any red or pink rows.

If Parted Magic freezes then I would think you have a hardware issue, possibly RAM as Parted Magic runs in RAM as default.

Edit: YeahBleeping makes a good point on the PSU. I have an old XP emachines that worked fine but refused to get out of sleep. I had to hard shutdown and reboot. Once I got a new PSU the problem went away.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#4 smitty54017

smitty54017
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:39 PM

Update:

* Ran memory test - no problems found

* Installed new hard drive - Drive freezes when installing Windows.  Restarted install multiple times, and each time it freezes at a different point.  I'm starting to think motherboard.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,292 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:15 AM

Did you run the Parted Magic Disk diagnostic? To confirm that it is the motherboard try installing a linux distro like Ubuntu or Mint.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users