Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help against DDoS

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Whitehatjoe

Whitehatjoe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:54 AM

Hello,

Is there a way to protect yourself against DDoS attack on your PC?

Basically I was playing online games on hostbots on which you connect and they can get your IPs.

The attacker has access to some bot and he gained access to my IP and disconnected me from the Internet(couldn't connect to google, dropped out of the game server etc...).

Is it possible to protect yourself versus this type of attacks? I've tried getting VPN but getting the same results.

I've set the security level on my router to highest and ticked the Anti-DoS and several other things and tried to log the attackers IP by cports but the log just shows that the connection to my game server has been closed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:51 AM

Hi Whitehatjoe :)

Unless you have a hardware firewall (and not just a router), it'll be hard to mitigate a strong DDoS attack. Depending on what kind of attack it is, you might have to sustain it until it ends sadly. There's no real affordable DDoS protection solution for home users since you don't expect them to be DDoS'd (even thought it's part of this world now). So you could buy an entreprise grade firewall and install it but it might be a tad too expensive.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:36 AM

Just buying hardware at your end will not help you. You need to get in touch with your ISP and ask them what protection they offer.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2018
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#4 Whitehatjoe

Whitehatjoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:20 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:24 AM

I don't think that the attack is too strong-if I reset my router it changes IP and I get back online as usual. ISP seems to have no problems with this. I will see to contact them. Thanks for help guys :D

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:51 AM

No problem Whitehatjoe, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 HolyCowz

HolyCowz

• Members
  • 168 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:20 PM

Posted 10 November 2016 - 04:24 AM

Wont even an enterprise firewall crumble under some of today's ddos attacks?

#7 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 04 December 2016 - 02:50 AM

Kind of hard to do anything relly vs ddos/dos attack if its a botnet or even if not.

Its possable when doing a ddos/dos attack to mess with the paket anyways to so that you can't  track it back to sorce with out help in the case of a botnet gets even harder to track.

it just flooding trash in any case to choke someone connection, if your on a dynamic ip just reset ip and move on, if it keeps happening when you go to internet site "X" stop going thier.

How can you tell your getting ddos anyways ?

When your behind NAT you don't see mouch about whats going on on the outside, don't see how cports will not help mouch thier, to relly see whats going on you have to be in briged mode "direct connect to the net" to see whats going on and not behind NAT.

#8 MDD1963

MDD1963

• Members
  • 665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 AM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:09 AM

Best to stay the heck off the gaming servers where such would-be hacking/disrupting miscreants hang out....

Asus Z270A Prime/7700K/32 GB DDR4-3200/GTX1060

#9 shadow_647

shadow_647

• Banned
  • 1,430 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 23 December 2016 - 04:44 AM

i use to DOS people i didn't like way back when in win95~98 lolz.

Wasn't hard to do or to choke someone gone when it was 56k modem or slower wars, relly a dos attack is just being a lamer vs someone with a dinamic ip, more of a problem for people runing servers with a static ip that they can't change and someone with a big botnet attacking em for days with a strong ddos, that can  choke someone off the net for weeks.

Ps if someone is doing a flood i would connect in brige mode to the net my self just to get the ip hits on the firewall logs, if its all random ips then its a bot net or buddy knows how to spoof the ips, if thier all the same its a noob flooding and you can log the ips and trace them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users