Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Factory Recovery Issues

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:43 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:14 PM

I recently reverted my Toshiba Qosmio X775-Q7380 back to the Factory Default Software using the Toshiba Recovery Wizard.

Upon completion of the Recovery, I am prompted to restart my computer. My computer then starts up normally in Windows 7 Home Premium and begins running the Toshiba automated installation of the default drivers (e.g. Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility, Intel Management User Interface, Intel Display Driver etc.). Once reaching the 9th step, Toshiba Value Added Package installation, the computer freezes and I have to force-shutdown the computer and reboot. The installer then picks up where it left off and continues with the installations. When reaching the Realtek Audio Driver installation, the computer freezes again and I again reboot. The installer freezes again at the Atheros Wireless LAN Driver and upon a third reboot, Windows 7 brings me to the User logon screen. My 2 options for logging on are the Administrator profile, which says that it's disabled when I click on it, and Other User, which requires a user name and password to logon.

As far as I can tell, I cannot get back into Windows 7 at this stage. I have tried restarting and running the Factory Default Software Recovery again. I get the same result every time.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:37 AM

Have you previous used some user name or passowrd to login if yes then try to enter these details. beacuse your toshiba recovery wizard also restore previous user credential so try to enter them

#3 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:38 PM

I tried my previous username/password combinations and none of them are working, unfortunately

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:20 PM

Is it possible to do the factory reset and disable the auto driver install then install the drivers manually from Toshiba's support site. Your can start a factory reset by pressing zero at power up. If that is not possible then reset the password or enable the hidden Administrator Account using a bootable disk as shown here.

#5 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

The factory reset function is the function that I have been using. How do I disable the auto-install through the factory reset function? I have not seen an option that resembles anything like that so far.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

I am not that familiar with Toshiba's Factory Reset. I would think the restore partition is an image with drivers included and not require a seperate setup for drivers. Are these drivers downloaded from the internet. If so, then disable internet access before doing the reset. If you cannot install drivers manually then use the bootable disk your reset your password.

#7 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:30 PM

The drivers are not downloaded from the internet as it is not hard wired into an internet source and it freezes upon installing the wireless driver.

I do not have a burnable CD on me at the moment. I will attempt to find one tomorrow and run the program then.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

If you have a spare USB flash drive you can use Rufus with the iso file to create a bootable USB flash drive. Back up any data currently on the flash drive.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

#9 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:03 PM

Found a USB and booted up the Offline Password & Registry editor program on my computer. Upon reaching the 4th part of Step 3 in the instructions you linked to, there is only one partition listed by the program which is the USB that I am using to boot from. I tried following the instructions using the USB partition, which brings me to part 3b at which point the program reads "Selected files: sam system security. COpying sam system security to /tmp. cp: cannot stat '[Ss][Aa][Mm]': No such file or directory. ERROR: Failed to copy registry file sam."

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

You don't see any partitions labeled sda?

select-partition-number.jpg

Edit: There is a later version of the program here.

cd140201.zip

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2015 - 09:14 PM.

#11 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:19 PM

Under Candidate Windows partitions found, there are no partitions labeled at all. When I press a to show all partitions found, it lists:

/dev/sda1   *       1     942      978928    6   FAT16

That's all. When I try to select that partition, I hit 1 and enter. It then proceeds along until I get the same error message.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:23 PM

Something is defintely wrong. I am not sure what though. I editied my previous post that shows a later version of the program. Try that and see if it can detect the partitions. Other than that the only thing I can think of is to try the factory reset again.

I am wondering if something when wrong with the recovery as there should not be any FAT16 partitions on the disk. Only NTFS or NTFS and FAT32 if the computer has UEFI and not a regular BIOS. The EFI parltition should be set at FAT32 on a GPT disk.

#13 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

Attached is the error message displayed when I tried to load up the more recent version.

I will try the factory reset again in the morning. I have tried it ~10 times already, hoping to get past those 3 stages of the installation where it freezes and forces me to restart. Maybe tomorrow I will have better luck.

#14 Interior Crocogator

Interior Crocogator
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 45 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:59 PM

Sorry, here is the picture of the error.

Attached Files

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,668 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:37 AM

Kernel Panic is a very Serious Error. There must be a hardware conflict. The only thing I can think of is to use a install disk of Windows 7 and do the instructions as posted here to edit the registry and enable the Hidden Administrator Account. Editing the registry is dangerous but since you do not have access there is not much harm you can do. If you have access to another Windows 7 computer you can make a System Repair Disk   I will have to confirm if a System Repair Disk will work. I will post back the results.

Edit: I was able to enable the Hidden Administrator Account using the above instructions using a System Repair Disk. Just a couple of hints. Where is asks to type in %Windir%\system32\config\SAM it is best to browse to SAM. Look for your Windows Dir. It may be given a different letter than C:

When you cursor down to 0038 click the del key once and press "1". This will give you 10. Make sure all numbers in that row are the same as the image before clicking apply.

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2015 - 07:56 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users