Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Custom Built Computer Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 SpicyLumpia

SpicyLumpia

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

Greetings,

I recently built a new custom computer and used the following components:

+ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming 5.
+ RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (4 x 4 GB) DD3-1600.
+ CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Processor.
+ Storage: Intel 520 250 GB SSD.
+ Video Card: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming.
+ PSU: Corsair RM Series 550w.
+ Drivers: All drivers are up to date and have been installed from Gigabytes website. BIOS is also up to date.
+ Operating System: Windows 8.1 x64-bit

I am experiencing two issues and I am not sure if they are connected so I'll list them separately.

1st Issue: Occasionally when I restart the computer, Windows will go to the "Restarting..." splash screen as expected, but afterwards, the screen will go black and the restart process won't complete. The computer components are on and so is the monitor. The only way to get it out of this state is to do a hard reboot.

2nd Issue: Occasionally when I boot or restart the computer, it will be extremely laggy after start up. Here is a video with me moving Firefox with task manager showing CPU usage: https://youtu.be/2XnbYj98uF8. Notice the CPU spikes up to 40+%. Nothing else is running.

Solutions I have tried: I have tried reformatting my hard drive. Replacing my hard drive. Running MemTest86 (found no errors). Re-securing the cables on my motherboard. Turning off fast startup.

I'm not sure what else to do. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

SpicyLumpia

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:04 AM

Let's start with this report.  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 SpicyLumpia

SpicyLumpia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

Hi Usasma,

Thanks for the reply. Attached is the report you requested from Event Viewer. Let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks,

SpicyLumpia

Attached Files

Edited by SpicyLumpia, 08 July 2015 - 07:16 AM.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:27 AM

Lot's of strange issues with different drivers not being installed (I presume this is a boot issue - not you installing them).

I also see lot's of "no internet connectivity" issues - is this system connected to the internet?

As there's no particular problem noted, I'd suggest starting with these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

The point here is to rule out the easy to test stuff - so please do all of the tests (you only have to pick one for the CPU test).

I'm wondering if this is a motherboard problem - and there are no 100% reliable motherboard tests (too expensive to develop).

So the method here is to rule out all the other hardware.  After the diagnostics, I'll then suggest this procedure (if we still suspect the motherboard):  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

There is usually a limitation on how soon you can RMA parts - how much longer do you have?

My point here is that you don't want to miss the RMA on the motherboard (as it's expensive to replace) - yet you don't want to unnecessarily dismantle the system and return the motherboard if it's not the issue.  Ideally we'll spend some time ruling out the rest of the components, and then you can RMA it (if it proves to be the problem and if enough time is left).

Finally, please provide this information (even though you're not experiencing BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
This is so I can look at more info about the system and make further suggestions (that may/may not be related to the motherboard)

Edited by usasma, 08 July 2015 - 07:30 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ubuntunix

ubuntunix

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:47 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

Hello,

I watched your video a few times and that really sucks, but it should be a nice build! I was really wanting to put a new xeon together but went cheap with a G3258. Your CPU shouldn't see a load like that moving a browser window around, and seeing that reminded me of what I did wrong on a haswell build recently.

You did mention you've installed main drivers yourself, motherboard, sound and video; but you did not mention what you told windows to do when you installed it. When installing windows 8 it asks "Automatically get device drivers, apps info for new devices?" and defaults to yes. I don't  think you'll even see the option anymore if you pick express settings. So if you didn't change that setting and installed your own drivers manually... well... you could have a total driver disaster.(that was the mistake i kept making, which was installing the most current nvidia driver when windows actually downloaded and ran an older version on its own in the background. So I ended up with like two conflicting drivers and neither worked correctly).

I'd  try re-installing windows again, but this time let it handle everything automatically. Resist the urge to put your own current drivers on and allow it to run the show, so to speak. It may seem to take awhile depending on your bandwidth and server loads.

Couple other suggestions because you built the machine, pretty sure you're comfortable with em, in no particular order:

-Go into BIOS and load performance defaults (you must do this if you updated to version F4)

-Check memory timings with CPUZ and ensure your command rate is not 1T.

-Double check that windows 8.1 sets up the SSD correctly. Scheduled defrag and caching services like superfetch should all be off.

-Run Ubuntu (or whatever flavor linux) live from a thumb drive / optical drive and see how stable the hardware is over a day or so.

No intention to interfere with you and Usasma here, i just saw that video and had to add my 2 cents.  =)

Good luck!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users