Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need advice on upgrading my rig.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tearantz

tearantz

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:46 PM

Looking to improve the overall performance of my desktop and im clueless as where to start. 

I had it built about a year ago and lost track of the parts I have, but I have a huge case.

Video card: R9270x

Processor: i5-4670k @3.40 ghz

Ram: 8gb

Mainly looking for advice on what I can and cannot do, upgrading my graphics card and if I can just slap another 270x or if I should just upgrade. I've got about 600$ to spend right now. 

Edited by tearantz, 07 July 2015 - 08:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:12 PM

What is your power supply?

What performance are you trying to improve?

#3 tearantz

tearantz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:46 PM

I have a 750 power supply.
Currently I just want to stream, edit video, things that kind of tax my computer at the moment. Just overall performance upgrades.

#4 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:38 AM

I have a 750 power supply.
Currently I just want to stream, edit video, things that kind of tax my computer at the moment. Just overall performance upgrades.

hmmm both those are CPU oriented, but can be GPU oriented if you don't mind a slight quality loss at the gain of faster processing. Normally for "overall performance* I recommend a SDD as it just does make everything snappier. Even helps with video editing ease as a good quality scratch disk. 

The best CPU for your current socket is the i7-4790k, but all it would do is speed up video editing. Moving up to the 2011-V3 platform costs more then 600 so that's out of the question. Instead of a CPU upgrade though, I'd get yourself a dedicated capture card to take care of all the video streaming load, and spend the rest of a good single GPU and/or a editing program that can take advantage of GPU processing (again lower end quality but most people won't notice).

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#5 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:43 AM

Upgrade the R9 270X to either GTX 970 or R9 290x . As for CPU, you are fine just for gaming but not for video editing, and the RAM is fine but i would add another 8GB stick for the future as games later on intend to use more RAM. Also GTX 970 is still consider sweet spot at the moment plus less than $400. 

At $600, i would recommend you get either R9 290x or GTX 970 and the rest is for another 8GB RAM then you are good to go. As R9 280x is not really good for 1080P but get the job done between medium to high settings.

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 08 July 2015 - 01:48 AM.

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,324 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 06:09 AM

I'd have to recommend against the RAM upgrade, unless you're current using your page file a lot.  You're looking for an upgrade now, not down the road.

You might want to look at switching to an nVidia card as a lot of programs will allow you to use the GPU cores for processing.

You might want to run the Resource Monitor (Task Manager/Performance tab/Resource Monitor link) then perform the actions that you want to improve to see where you bottle neck is.

#7 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:40 AM

Looking to improve the overall performance of my desktop and im clueless as where to start. 

I had it built about a year ago and lost track of the parts I have, but I have a huge case.

Video card: R9270x

Processor: i5-4670k @3.40 ghz

Ram: 8gb

Mainly looking for advice on what I can and cannot do, upgrading my graphics card and if I can just slap another 270x or if I should just upgrade. I've got about 600$ to spend right now. 

Regarding your RAM modules...

How many RAM modules do you have in there now? 1 or 2?

What do you have in there now? Are those modules 1866 MHz or 1600 MHz?

Edited by Buzzsaw, 10 July 2015 - 02:51 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users