Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My Dell Studio is almost 5 yrs. old...it's been great but I need to buy a new co

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 huecares123

huecares123

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:31 PM

I want it to have windows 7 with a good battery life...Any suggestions?   If I can't get a good system, I'm thinking of going to a Mac which is foreign to me.

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2015 - 10:03 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Buying New Computer - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:48 PM

What is wrong with the Studio that makes you want to purchase a new computer, a bad battery?

#3 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:09 PM

My studio is working great but I  suspect after 5 years it may be close to finished.   Batteries for it run about $85 and I guess I have about 6 months left before I need  a new one.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

Do you have a model number of the studio. If you buy an OEM battery that would be expensive. I purchased one for a HP on ebay for considerably cheaper. Some people frown on buying a third party battery but I never had a problem with mine and most batteries today are manufactured only by a few companies.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dell-studio-1555-battery

#5 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:41 AM

have you decided your budget if you are looking to spend more then go for apple if want to use mac system otherwise for windos you can go for toshiba or sony

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2015 - 08:11 AM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:08 AM

I would avoid Sony as they are no longer in the computer business. Somebody purchased their assets.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/2/6/5385212/sony-sells-off-vaio-pc-division

http://store.sony.com/helpdeskcategory/helpdesk-vaio-computers-category-template_sny_helpdesk_vaio_computers_main_category?article=component_sny_helpdesk_vaiocomputers_farewell

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2015 - 07:08 AM.

#7 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

Do you have a model number of the studio. If you buy an OEM battery that would be expensive. I purchased one for a HP on ebay for considerably cheaper. Some people frown on buying a third party battery but I never had a problem with mine and most batteries today are manufactured only by a few companies.

http://www.ebay.com/bhp/dell-studio-1555-battery

My concern is it's age. Thanks 

#8 huecares123

huecares123
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:38 AM

have you decided your budget if you are looking to spend more then go for apple if want to use mac system otherwise for windos you can go for toshiba or sony

I'm thinking in the $1200 range with an extended warrenty

#9 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:29 AM

If I were in the market for a laptop I would probably go to xoticpc.com simply because they offer a lot of options for the laptops they offer.  Maybe you can go check them out and report back on a few your looking at and we can critique your choices.  You can also get good buying advice from notebookcheck.net

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,594 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 07:12 AM

I am not sure if you are interested in purchase suggestions, but Here is an Acer that I recently purchased for my son. This thing is fast, 1TB HDD, and is really a beautiful machine. I purchased an older model of this Acer 5 years ago for my son at college, and it was super with no problems at all. He was still very happy with it but it was stolen. He runs ProTools, a pro audio editor for his band, he records then edits, etc., web creation programs, Photoshop, etc. and it never glitched. Bear in mind that this new one runs super fast (boot into Windows 8.1 in 15 seconds with internet access fully loaded and ready to go).

As far as extended warranties go, it's your decision. I, personally, never get them, for any purchase including cars. If I count up all the money through the last 40 years that I saved by not purchasing these warranties it would go into the thousands. Even if one item fails and needs repairs, think of the thousands I have saved already. BTW....Newegg gives you 30 days for a full return/refund.

Also bear in mind that all computers come with loads of garbageware/adware/trialware that you must remove. In addition, remove all the "helpful" overlays Acer adds to "help" you run your computer "easier". Just remove anything listed in Remove Programs that has the name Acer in front of it, and finally the computer will jet fly.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 July 2015 - 07:14 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#11 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,321 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:22 PM

With a laptop it can be worth it for an extended warranty if it also covers accidental damage.  I can't tell you how many laptops I've seen killed by a glass of liquid, being dropped or sat on.  If it doesn't include accidental damage then it probably isn't worth it.

I think you're going to end up with a PC if your price point is $1,200.  A MacBook Air starts at $899, everything else starts at $1,299.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users