Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton Power Eraser Prompt

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 azster

azster

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Hello community I hope I posted this in the correct forum. I currently have Norton anti-virus for protection on my computer. Recently I tried to download a video from a sharing website (mistake, I know). The files started downloading what I assume was most likely atrocities for my computer; so I cut the power, rebooted, and deleted the files.

Norton has since been prompting me to run Norton power eraser with a claim of, "detecting a large amount of suspicious outbound traffic on my system". I ran power eraser and it got rid of those files I downloaded as well as some other files.

The problem is that I am still getting the prompt to run Norton power eraser with the same claim of a large suspicious amount of outbound traffic. After checking the networking performance in task manager I can see that at any time my connection with get random fluctuations of up to 30%.

So I am still constantly being prompted with this security request to run Norton power eraser which means I assume that it didn't take care of the problem. I googled the issue and was directed to a Norton forums page with a user having the similar problem, and was redirected here. To view the prompt you can quickly browse that forum page:  http://community.norton.com/en/forums/frequent-notification-run-power-eraser 

I apologize if this problem has been posted before, I couldn't find it in a search or by browsing, and any help would be appreciated thanks. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:30 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:42 PM

:welcome: to Bleeping Computer.

If you need individual assistance with malware infection, you should start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum

OR follow the instructions provided in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
If you choose to post a log in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team. After doing that, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic so we can closed this one.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users