Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB and VGA ports dont work

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 McFlyguy

McFlyguy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:01 PM

I just got a new HP tower from a friend and when i got it i plugged it in and it turned on and the fan was going, everything was great. until i plugged in the VGA cord connected to my monitor, my keyboard via USB, and mouse via USB. All the monitor said was the words "analog" and "digital" in the top left corner on a black background. the words were flashing from one word to the other. The mouse's laser detector wasnt on and the caps lock and the num pad lock didnt light up. The tower doesnt seem to have taken ant damage, but i dont know what my friend has done to it. If you know any thing that might help please tell me, it would mean a hell of alot!!!

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 07 July 2015 - 06:51 PM.
Two topics on same problem merged.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 McFlyguy

McFlyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:32 PM

i recently got an HP tower (windows 7) and the USB and VGA ports do not work. My keyboard's caps lock didn't light up when i pressed it when plugged in and the mouse's laser detector didn't light up either. The monitor, connected via VGA, when turned on has the words "analog" and "digital" flashing back and forth in the top left hand corner. i read somewhere that it might be fixed by turning it off, unplugging everything, and holding the power button for 15 secs. I tried that and it didn't seem to work. If there is a way to restart the computer from the tower that might work, but the keyboard doesn't work so that might be a problem. P.S. i got this tower from a person i know so maybe he did something with it, but i dont know. If it damaged it cant be that damaged because it turns on and the fan turns on. If you have any suggestions that would be great!!!

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:05 PM

I am guessing it was moved from one place to you, if you are comfortable going inside the case I would pull and re seat any cards and the ram.  It is possible something jarred loose.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:08 PM

Do you have a wired mouse and key board?  A few need drivers to work correctly.

Pleas try yo gather all this up into one post!

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#5 McFlyguy

McFlyguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:31 PM

the keyboard and mouse are wired and i tried them on a laptop to see if the computer was the problem and they worked on the laptop. and plus the VGA port is not working either. Granted its an old monitor, but i know its the port thats funky

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users