Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

While in remote computer, I can't print on my local printer

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jsaklas

jsaklas

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:38 PM

I have legitimate access to a remote computer.  When connected to the remote computer, I want to print on my local printer.  I have checked the Printer box on the "Local devices and resources" section in the Local Resources of the RDC window which I was told would connect my printer to the remote computer, but my local printer is not on the printer menu of the remote computer.

I'm running Windows 7 Pro and Kaspersky Internet Security

Edited by hamluis, 08 July 2015 - 10:09 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:27 PM

This thread might shine some light on it for you.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-networking/win-7-remote-desktop-and-local-printing-not/544acb1b-a259-4170-bc05-2c6dbfd0ca05

#3 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:22 PM

bleeperizer,

Thanks for the reply, but the link you suggested seems to concerned with a networked printer.  My Canon MX882 is connected directly to my desktop and is not networked anywhere else.  I thought the problem my have been the driver.  The remote computer is a very, very old server running Windows Server 2003, SP2.  Sadly Canon says therer is no driver for their MX882 for this old of an operating system.

DOes anyone have some type of "work-around" that may allow me to print on my local Canon printer?

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

I can't resolve your issue off the top of my head... but just to let you know I share your pain. Been running 2003 as our print server too due to backwards compatibility of older printers, now newer printers are having compatibility issues. I have to migrate the whole swarm over to a newer server, with new drivers for every one of them. Huge pita job.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:14 AM

Just to be clear...is THIS the procedure you followed?

Louis

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,439 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

If still cannot connect to the printer after hamluis's post a workaround would be to use Google Cloud print. You would also need to download a program to allow printing from any application.Both computers would need Chrome and a Google Account. XP would need XML essentials pack.

http://www.google.com/landing/cloudprint/

Edit: I should have read through the thread more carefully. Not sure if this will work on Server 2003.

Edited by JohnC_21, 08 July 2015 - 11:28 AM.

#7 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

hamluis,

Yes, the link you gave me to MS "How-to" is what I did.

#8 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:30 PM

JohnC_21

Thanks, but I do not have the ability to load Chrome on the other machine.  One solution is to buy another old HP Laserjet 4 Plus.  I have one of these connected to an older computer and the remote server is OK with it.  Another possibility is to switch printers, but this is clearly my second choice.

I'm still hoping for another solution.

#9 jsaklas

jsaklas
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2015 - 10:11 AM

This will end this post.  There is not "work around" for the old OS to drive the Canon printer.  However, it is no longer an issue because the organization retired the old server and went with the on-line version of Quickbooks (which was the reason I was linked to the old server.) 

THANKS to all who tried to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users