Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba C655D Harddrive Missing only sometimes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DPC2005

DPC2005

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:04 PM

A Toshiba C655D and on boot up it will sometimes say the harddrive is missing and ask for the boot disk. Check the bios and under HDD nothing just the Optical Drive is showing up. Figured that hey the drive might not be seated properly but no it's there and actually just an hour before the client came to pick it up it was running fine. My though the drive died just my luck so I pulled it and tested it with seatools the drive tested good. So pulled the board out of the system and checked the contacts for continuity all good there so I know at least the drive is contacting the connectors. After powering up and down the system about 5 or 6 times it seems to start to boot up and just as windows is loading BSOD and reboots. I can't get in safemode either to tell the system not to reboot, and the event log when I pull it from the drive just says kernel lost power. Any Ideas is this board just toast I've never ran across this problem and wondering if any of you might have thanks for the help in advance I have to say after 22 years I haven't seen all the problems yet.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:42 AM

Wierd problems with computer= Corrupt Hard drive system files / Bad Hard drive and or Bad PSU - and or Bad Memory - and or Bad CPU (in my experience)

Edited by YeahBleeping, 08 July 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#3 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:01 AM

You could always try putting the drive in another PC (not as a boot device but as a secondary HDD) and just booting it up a heap of times to see if it works fine in that circumstance. If it's fine then the board in the laptop or at least the SATA connectors must be broken.

Perhaps sometimes it works, some times it doesn't, and when you ran Seatools it was a time when it worked.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

#4 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,651 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:42 AM

say the harddrive is missing and ask for the boot disk

Ok, the unit is accessing the BIOS on boot so that is good. It does not sound like a characteristic RAM problem, that would BSOD or freeze, auto-reboot, etc. My suggestion is to  first set the BIOS back to default, if no joy then next swap the HDD with another. I always keep an old HDD with XP installed on it just for boot testing in these cases. I trust Sea Tools, but in this case everything is pointing to the HDD as faulty, and the only other thing I can think of is a bad mainboard, but that requires further testing to make sure.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 160 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 PM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

I always keep an old HDD with XP installed on it just for boot testing in these cases.

That's a good idea, I'll have to remember that one. It's only a matter of time before my old P4B gives out.

(I don't know what happened to the quote...)

Edited by Karzahni, 11 July 2015 - 07:35 PM.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users