Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uber of Tech Support. Need Your Help!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 GetDakota

GetDakota

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:00 PM

Hey All, I am Brandyn from Onyx LA. We are currently working on a web app startup that immediately connects end users with an available tech. After working in the tech field for the last 10 years, I've realized how outdated the current tech support model is, especially now that almost everyone has a broadband connection. We want to build a service that allows techs, system admins, etc. to make extra income, while making it easier for end users to get immediate support.

I would love to hear your thoughts, positive or negative!

Would you use this kind of service?

What's the percentage you feel tech issues can be solved remotely vs on-site.

Would you want this service to be an hourly fee, or by project?

Thanks so much in advance!

Site: Dakota

Edited by Queen-Evie, 07 July 2015 - 03:18 PM.
moved from Windows Crashes, BSOD, and Hangs Help and Support

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Ratedgore

Ratedgore

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:24 PM

Tech issue can be 94% solve remote access, 6% hardware.

By project but then again this is touchy.

#3 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:22 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Interesting concept I suppose.  You would want some type of rating system for each 'tech' so that higher rated techs can ask/get paid for what they are worth.  The tech should also be able to rate the experience. I see your system being used more for like malware removal and software issues.  Problem is most users don't know if their issue is hardware or software.  So much information available on the web people just mostly like to come to a forum and get help without being too personal. Would be good for some not so good for others.  And how would you be able to 'police' not so 'white hat' hat wearers with access to the tools to 'help' alah things like teamviewer..etc.. I guess I'm torn at the thought.

#4 TechnicianOnline

TechnicianOnline

• Members
  • 125 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:38 PM

Must agree with Ratedgore, more things can be done remotely. That being said, there are many tools that enable you to connect to a Technician online.

TeamViewer, LogMeIn and others like Join.Me that you can setup to launch anytime. Now.... if you haven't seen it yet Amazon is pushing a Pre-Paid Service on there website.

This will enable home users (I'm thinking that's who you're trying to target.) to buy pre-paid IT work and someone calls them or goes onsite.

I just got Amazon certified last week through my company to provided Technical Services so this is actually happening, I'm located in Orange County, CA.

The idea isn't so much original it's the targeting of end-users you're trying to do I think, there are places like Fiver or FreeLancer that offer the same idea in a way.

A Network isn't something you 'own' or 'have'; you may only wield it like the sword of Excalibur.

#5 GetDakota

GetDakota
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:10 PM

Thank you all for your insight. To shed a little more light...

Our main sell is the ability for it to be on-demand. We would definitely have rating systems for both users and techs. I completely agree with a lot of users not knowing what their problem is, we've thought about having a diagnostic fee for a tech to come in and troubleshoot, and then a user could approve an amount through our UI for the resolution.

The more we've thought about it, we feel our biggest advantage is with small businesses who can't afford a consulting team, but could have a card on file with a budget (lets say $500 a month), where employees could use 24/7 having a verified tech take a look at their problem.

I'll take a look at Amazon's new service, appreciate everyones feedback!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users