Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

8.1 to 10 Backup?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 ocean77

ocean77

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:43 PM

I'm planning on taking the upgrade to Windows 10 come April 29, but I wondering if I will need to back everything up or will everything remain as? Thank you!

My wife has Windows 7 on her laptop and I was thinking maybe an upgrade there also, but will this need to be backed up?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,599 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:54 PM

Hi ocean77 :)

If you decide to upgrade to Windows 10 (not do a clean installation), then all your compatible programs, drivers and personal data (files) will be preserved during the upgrade. However, I suggest you to do a back-up of your important files before, just in case something happens and the upgrade fails or the system crashes and you end up losing your data (better be safe than sorry). And I suggest you to do the same on your wife's laptop if you are ever to upgrade to Windows 10 from Windows 7 on it.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:40 PM

Thank you Aura. This is just what I will do.

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,599 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:44 PM

No problem, you're welcome :)

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:21 PM

And you can always roll back to 8.1 if you need/want to.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,599 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:45 PM

Would still be a good thing to take another back-up before doing a rollback if you ever go down that road as well.

unite_blue.png

#7 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Just curious, are you people upgrading to Windows 10?

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,599 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:27 PM

Personally I'll be on all my devices :)

unite_blue.png

#9 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

Ocean77, you would be better off doing what I just did today:  create another partition and instead put Win10 on that partition.  Even though I specified a clean install ('Custom Installation' rather than 'Keep my files'), and specified a third partition to preserve and wall off Win8.1, Win10 (build 10162) COPIED MY SETTINGS from Win8.1.  It didn't copy the right settings, but that could be a bug.  It copied the first theme in Win8.0 that I had used the first time I installed it last week. (Then I updated to 8.1.)

Besides, Win10 might break many of the programs you have that work now in 7.  It might also break your ability to change BIOS options, so before installing, repeatedly hit F12 or F2, F10 or Alt-F10 immediately after you turn on your machine, to access the 'Bios setup' menu.  Make sure that 'Legacy' is selected, not 'UEFI', and make sure your 'boot sequence' is first your usb drive or CD/DVD drive (preferably both) before your hard drive.  Finally, make sure your 'fast boot' setting is 'thorough', so if something goes wrong, you can slow the machine down and troubleshoot.  That helps you recover better if something goes awry. If you don't know how to find these settings, someone you know will be able to help.

Win10's interface is EXTREMELY limited and foreign, versus Win7; from an interface standpoint, operation is much worse.  Much loss of customization.  Sure, you can get other themes online, but they are limited, too.  Very painstaking process, as always.  MSFT never allows you to keep what is familiar and useful.

Example:  you can no longer specify colors or font faces or 'classic' like you still can in Windows 7.  So the unreadable default fonts in Win10, you're stuck with. Instead, they give you a limited option to size the fonts for title, icon, message box, etc.  (Make sure Menu and Icon are at sized to least point 11, or your taskbar/toolbar icons will be too small, your window text as well.  Same problem as in Win7.)  The old dialogue box with the Appearance tab, is GONE.  Very bad change.

I found a bunch of videos on Youtube which demonstrate Win10, folks speaking both for and against it. You can find those links by clicking here and then searching on 'preview videos' until you get to the post which has the links (should be the second hit).

So in Win10, your desktop becomes an amalgam of the Start Screen and the 8.1 desktop, but all your desktop stuff you had, will be gone.  This is true no matter how you update.  It will take a long time, perhaps all day, to rebuild your desktop.  The menu structure is NOTHING like Win7, but rather like the 8.0 Start Screen when you list 'all apps', but now those are put IN the desktop IN a vertical panel, rather than wide screen:  still long alpha list, each letter followed by program names which begin with that letter; else. you can only see the most recent programs. 

Coming from Win7, you will really find this structure annoying.  Very disorienting.  Everything about Win7 is moved around, or disappears, or is just no longer available.  MSFT touts this interface as 'familiar'.  The only thing 'familiar' about it, is that it has a superficial appearance at boot to the Win7 taskbar.  Everything else is quite annoyingly different.  I can't imagine businesses adopting this thing.  Employees won't be able to get their work done, unless the business completely revamps the interface and then imposes it on all employees.  Which, to some extent they can still do.

MSFT's stated goal is ONENESS, which they call 'Continuum'.  One interface across all devices.  Which really means, when you strip out all the hype, lowest common denominator: the phone.  So your options to change, personalize, enhance, are limited as they are for your smartphone. 

Example, you can change the menu settings only somewhat.  You can pin or unpin from the start menu or sometimes the task bar, but to put shortcuts on the desktop you must know where the program is, set your File and Folder Options to show all folders.  Then navigate to each program's executable, right click and 'send to desktop' or 'create shortcut'.  It's a painful process all over again, because the so-called 'Start Menu', has changed what's allowed to show up there.

I use Win7 on eight computers.  Had I 'updated' to 10 on any of them, I'd be totally lost.  For the menuing system it caters to, is 8.1's, not 7's.

Features?  To actually get something done?  Well, search is even worse than even 7's.  Everything I tested so far, is worse than 7.  All the supposed advantages in the link above, are actually worse than 7 Speech recognition, for example, and Google search are faster and more accurate, than Cortana.  To use Cortana, you must opt into sharing all you do on your local machine with MSFT's servers. You will be told that at installation.  But at least now at installation, they don't insist on you providing your BIRTHDATE to install.

The new browser, Edge, is much worse than even Internet Explorer, but its version 11 will still be in Win10.    But with Edge, if you have pen input or a touchscreen, you can draw circles around websites you like, and send those annotated things to friends, etc.  Of course, there are other ways to do the same thing in 7, which are faster.  Presently, I see no advantage in Win10.  Especially, versus Win7.  So for my 19 Windows machines, I have no plans to install it, even though Win10 updates are free for the life of the 'device' onto which it's installed.

So you'll want to keep your 7 if you like how it works.  So by partitioning your hard drive (in Win7, click 'Run' and then  type diskmgmt.msc for a list of your drives, and right-click over a drive's depiction to get the 'partition' option) -- by partitioning before you install Win10, you will have fewer hassles. 

Installation takes about an hour: you will have to provide a current license (i.e., the one on your Win7 machine).  After it finishes you will, at boot, have the right to select Win10 or your current 7.  So you can decide if you really want Win10, at your own pace.  After all, it's free for a year, to install;  if you've not installed by July 28, 2016, then you'd have to pay.  So now instead, you can save what you have, and make any leisurely changes during that year, to decide if you want to really use Win10, or stay on Win7 (which will be updated through 2020). 

You cannot uninstall Win10.  That's another reason to make a separate partition.  Once it's there, you have forced updates and many other issues you'll run into. But at least if on a separate partition, you can keep using 7.

Hope this helps.  Yell at me here or in vimeo if it doesn't.

Edited by brainout, 07 July 2015 - 10:46 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#10 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:08 PM

Apparently you need to install W10 preview on a whole new drive unless your current one is GPT.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#11 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:17 AM

I think I will stay where I am. With all these possibilities of something going wrong I'd be much safer not to change. Thanks everyone!

#12 DAVID SHELDON

DAVID SHELDON

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:08 AM

Before update your window ,you have to take backup because any problem arise you may loss your data.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,597 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:56 AM

Apparently you need to install W10 preview on a whole new drive unless your current one is GPT.

What does that mean? I am sorry if I am ignorant but I just do not know what GPT is. I am using the same SSD drive as my Windows 8.1 installation without any problems (I have Windows 10 build 10162 installed), so what does your post mean?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,599 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:24 AM

I think I will stay where I am. With all these possibilities of something going wrong I'd be much safer not to change. Thanks everyone!

What possibilities? The only possibility of something going wrong is during the upgrade process and like I said, I doubt it'll happen. I've upgraded multiple computers from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 and Windows 8 to Windows 8.1 and I never had a single issue. They all had different configurations as well (and I upgraded mine from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1 with tweaked settings).

unite_blue.png

#15 ocean77

ocean77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:16 AM

Aura, I do trust what you shared with me and I felt confident that this would be a good move. In a Post that followed Brainout came in with all this information which had me doubting myself. I actually feel like upgrading my Windows 8.1 to 10 right now, bot maybe all the kinks are not completely out yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users