Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

malewarebytes question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

i have eset as my paid protection and malewarebytes as a free second scan. while scanning because my putor seems suddenly slow i saw that malewarebytes is premium and fully protecting . i DID NOT  pay for this service,i had only trial version and that expired awhile ago. i was told here not to have 2 like services as they may slow me down. in malewarebytes [my account] there is an option to de activate ......should i click on it ?thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Hi vacuum tube :)

ESET and Malwarebytes products are compatible with each others as far as I know. When your computer is slow, which program are you scanning with: ESET or Malwarebytes?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:18 AM

to-day i started a scan with MB but it was so slow i canceled it. i then used eset but canceled that also [slow imo].i was thinking that MB is giving me the premium service as a come on to buy 

#4 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:19 AM

Hi:

In addition to Aura's advice...

It sounds VERY strange that you now have the paid, Premium MBAM (Malwarebytes Anti-Malware) if you never paid for a license.

Even with the new licensing system, this ought not to be possible.

There is a "1 Trial per PC per Program Version" feature for the consumer version.

So, if you have recently updated from a version BEFORE 2.1.8 to version 2.1.8, then it may be that you have a new Trial for the 2.1.8 build???

If your dashboard ribbon at the top really does say "Premium" (not "Trial") and if you see full account information in that window, then perhaps someone else with access to your computer has purchased a Premium MBAM license and has activated it?  (In that case, you might see BOTH an "ID" and a "Key" in the display.)

The other possibility is that you may have had a "problem" license (perhaps purchased inadvertently from an unofficial source or seller) that was automatically migrated to a new, replacement license? (If that's the explanation, there would be ONLY a "Key", and no "ID" in the display.)

In any event, as Aura mentioned, MBAM Premium is NOT an anti-virus and does not replace one.

To the contrary it is specifically designed to provide realtime, layered protection alongside your AV, to protect against zero-hour and zero-day threats often missed by the AV.

There is no need to deactivate MBAM Premium to change it back to the manual, on-demand scanner.

>>If you have performance issues on a slow system, please post back and we'll explain how to set mutual exclusions between ESET and MBAM.

Cheers,

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

Do you know your computer specs? RAM, CPU, Hard drive, etc.? Is the mbam.exe process or ESET's process taking all your resources during the scan?

Edited by Aura., 07 July 2015 - 11:20 AM.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:20 AM

i was thinking that MB is giving me the premium service as a come on to buy 

No, I'm afraid not.

#7 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:26 AM

there is nothing after key and identifier .state and duration have "unknown" after them. it does say premium now ,used to say trial expired 

#8 vacuum tube

vacuum tube
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:28 AM

Do you know your computer specs? RAM, CPU, Hard drive, etc.? Is the mbam.exe process or ESET's process taking all your resources during the scan?

the most i know is its an old dell windows xp lappy on its last bites

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,683 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:40 AM

It's possible that all the resources are being used by a scan if you have low-spec'd hardware. In order to know I would need to at least know the RAM and CPU of that Windows XP laptop. You can find that by right-clicking on My Computer on the Desktop and selecting Properties.

unite_blue.png

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:51 AM

there is nothing after key and identifier .state and duration have "unknown" after them. it does say premium now ,used to say trial expired 

That definitely sounds wonky.

There should be no missing or "unknown" items in the display.

The window should display the type of license and expiration, as well as the full ID/Key.

(Sorry, but I cannot attach a screen shot of a valid license window. I would be happy to upload to a 3rd-party hosting site, Imgur, if that is permitted.)

It sounds as if you may have experienced a "bug" with the licensing system.

You may take your chances to see how long it lasts, but it's possible or likely that the licensing system may eventually catch up with what appears to be an error.

Or you may wish to sort this out with Malwarebytes support.

That will not be resolvable here in this forum.

Rather, you might want to log a ticket with the Help Desk >>here<<.

I'll leave you to the other forum members to sort out your computer slow performance issues.

Cheers,

#11 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,758 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:22 PM

When the trial period expires Malwarebytes will continue to be expired by design even after updating to a new version.

However, in some cases this does not always occur and users previously have reported the issue to the Malwarebytes Team. See this discussion thread. As such, you may want to start a new topic in the Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Help Forum and report the issue again so they can investigate.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users