Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The infamous "only half the RAM showing up" problem

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimbojohn

jimbojohn

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:30 AM

Hi dear enthusiasts :bounce: ,

I recently received a computer case with a Gigabyte motherboard from a friend of mine. The motherboard did not have any hard drive, GPU and RAM. So, I bought the RAMS and the GPU off Ebay and used my old laptop’s HDD which had a 64-bit windows 7 on it. I have already confirmed that my processor is a 64-bit processor using the “securable” software. I also updated my BIOS to its latest version (which was a beta version). Everything seems to be working fine now, but apparently only 2 GB of my 4 GB RAM is usable (even though the whole 4 GB is recognised). I have done the following so far based on other forums and articles:

1. I have gone into “msconfig” and made sure that the maximum memory option is unticked.
  2. I have gone into the “resource monitor” and have confirmed that 2 GB of my RAM is marked as reserved hardware memory. Moreover, I could not find any memory mapping option in the BIOS.
  3. I tried taking the RAMs out and putting them back in again. I noticed that only when one 2 GB RAM module was in, yet again only half of that ( 1 GB) was only usable.

I read an article in this link and there was something related to GPU memory mapping written in it which I could not understand:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/978610

For example, if you have a video card that has 256 MB of on-board memory, that memory must be mapped within the first 4 GB of address space. If 4 GB of system memory is already installed, part of that address space must be reserved by the graphics memory mapping. Graphics memory mapping overwrites a part of the system memory. These conditions reduce the total amount of system memory that is available to the operating system.

I just cannot be sure what is causing this. Is it my GPU or RAM incompatibility with motherboard or something else? How can I rule these possibilities one by one and find the culprit?

Many thanks in advance!!

I have also attached the specs of my desktop computer, courtesy of CPU-Z software. It seems to be a bit too exhaustive, but basically slide to the right spots for the crux of the information regarding the RAM, GPU and etc.

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:54 AM

Do you have on board video, if so try disabling it in bios.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 jimbojohn

jimbojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:13 AM

Do you have on board video, if so try disabling it in bios.

Thanks for the reply.

No I dont think so. I have a GPU in one of the PCI slots. I could not find anything related to an onboard GPU in the BIOS settings or the CPU-Z specs.

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

What model Gigabyte board is it?

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,071 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:09 AM

Just pulled up the write from Gigabyte on your board, there may be something to help, shot in the dark!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2676#ov

#6 jimbojohn

jimbojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:17 AM

Just pulled up the write from Gigabyte on your board, there may be something to help, shot in the dark!

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2676#ov

Yes. That is my board and I have already had a look at that. I cannot see how this can help or in other words I cannot pin-point the problem with it. I am more after a way to limit the issue to a number of known options.

#7 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:34 AM

The fact that Kingston doesn't list your motherboard on their memory 'compatibility' drop down menu's - I would say you have then untested/incompatible  RAM in your pc.

Crucial lists your motherboard's memory for PC5300 As:-CT741647 2GB DDR2 667 PC2-5300 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 256Meg x 64

#8 jimbojohn

jimbojohn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:45 AM

The fact that Kingston doesn't list your motherboard on their memory 'compatibility' drop down menu's - I would say you have then untested/incompatible  RAM in your pc.

Crucial lists your motherboard's memory for PC5300 As:-CT741647 2GB DDR2 667 PC2-5300 Unbuffered NON-ECC 1.8V 256Meg x 64

Briliant. Thanks for the feedback. I will replace them and let you know how it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users