Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Exernal HDD needs formatting problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 AnanaSS

AnanaSS

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:59 AM

Hi,

I have a problem with my external hdd (WD MyPassport Ultra 1 TB). Suddenly my partition is not recognised and became raw. I have followed James LItten tutorial from his blog and I only just recovered my data but same problem: cant access my partition. I want to underline that i have win 8.1 installed on that partition and when i want to boot into windows pc freezes when logo is loading. I have tried to clone that drive but the clone did not fix the problem. the clone became like the original, unaccessible.

James Litten sent me here, to ask for some help, so please help me to fix this. (http://html5.litten.com/updated-how-to-fix-external-disk-drive-suddenly-became-raw/)

Attached Files

• Attached File  2.PNG   56.33KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  poza.PNG   68.59KB   1 downloads
  • Attached File  3.PNG   17.39KB   1 downloads

Edited by AnanaSS, 07 July 2015 - 02:23 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,042 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:48 AM

The Passport shows roughly 240 gig used in image 1 , but image 3 shows no data and no free space ?

All Partitions show as NTFS.

Does the PC Boot into Win 8 Ok without the Passport attached ?

If it does i would then connect the Passport and initilize it and Reformatt it again.

#3 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:18 AM

The Passport shows roughly 240 gig used in image 1 , but image 3 shows no data and no free space ?

All Partitions show as NTFS.

Does the PC Boot into Win 8 Ok without the Passport attached ?

If it does i would then connect the Passport and initilize it and Reformatt it again.

C and E are partitions from the internal HDD. G is the external hdd. I have 2 OS installed. 1 in internal HDD, and 1 in external HDD (G). Both of them are password secured.

And yes, In compuer management shows that te partition is fine but in my computer shows no data and no free space.

When i want to boot the OS from (G:/) external hdd freezes after windows logo closes.

I have noticed that if i boot the os from the internal HDD in safe mode i can access all my files from the external HDD.

Any clue?

I dont want to format the hdd. I have some licenses to deactivate before that, so i need to load the external drive OS.

As a mention. The internal drive works fine with and without the external attached. It just cannot see use the external drive (it does only from safe mode).

Edited by AnanaSS, 07 July 2015 - 03:33 AM.

#4 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:45 PM

Have you tried to connect the external HDD into another PC and check if the drive will be accessible or not?

Try to open Command prompt as administrator (locate it in the start menu or via search and right click on it to run as administrator) and type in the black box the following:

chkdsk g: /f

and paste back here the command's output.

#5 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:59 PM

Yes, the drive is accessible in windows XP.

I have added a new owner and now i can see the external from my laptop, but same, i cant boot the windows from the external drive.

I will try to chkdsk g:/ f in windows xp

Thanks!!!

#6 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:22 AM

It's better to try chkdsk in windows 8

Even it's unaccessible in Windows Explorer, I think chkdsk running as administrator will get access to the drive as the Disk Management snap-in does.

#7 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:55 AM

I have checked with chdsk in windows 8, but the problem is the same. when i try to boot the os from the external HDD freezes after windows logo dissapears and the screen remains black.

Edited by AnanaSS, 08 July 2015 - 12:58 AM.

#8 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 PM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 09:37 AM

What OS is on the passport drive?  I may would try removing physically (so the windows disc doesn't get confused)  the internal drive and putting in the windows 8 disc and try a repair installation.  My guess is the MBR got bjorked when 'something' happend to the file table.  And hopefully the repair will fix it.  If windows 8 is NOT on the passport .. what OS is on it?

#9 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:05 AM

Is chkdsk has made any fixes to the filesystem? You haven't provided any info about it.

Maybe it was errors on the drive and some system files got corrupted.

For example was disconnected while it was booting from it.

While the PC is booted from the internal drive is the drive still not accessible?

#10 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:03 AM

What OS is on the passport drive?  I may would try removing physically (so the windows disc doesn't get confused)  the internal drive and putting in the windows 8 disc and try a repair installation.  My guess is the MBR got bjorked when 'something' happend to the file table.  And hopefully the repair will fix it.  If windows 8 is NOT on the passport .. what OS is on it?

On the passport drive is installed windows 8.1 Thank you.

#11 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 03:04 AM

Is chkdsk has made any fixes to the filesystem? You haven't provided any info about it.

Maybe it was errors on the drive and some system files got corrupted.

For example was disconnected while it was booting from it.

While the PC is booted from the internal drive is the drive still not accessible?

CHKDSK did not find any errors.

The problem appeared after i unplugged the passport unsafely....

#12 PeterMayson

PeterMayson

• Banned Spammer
  • 33 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

Did you try to boot Windows 8.1 from your external HDD in safe mode? Maybe it will show up a message than could give any clue why it hangs while booting?

#13 AnanaSS

AnanaSS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 02:19 PM

Did you try to boot Windows 8.1 from your external HDD in safe mode? Maybe it will show up a message than could give any clue why it hangs while booting?

I order to boot in safe mode shouldn't I restart from normal mode?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users