Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which of these Laptops should I get?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 yorocco7

yorocco7

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:00 PM

I have about a $500 budget. I've been researching laptops for weeks. I've rounded my list to the units below. (If you have a suggestion to add to this please by all means do it :-) I'll be using it mostly in the office hooked to a monitor. I do photoshop, Corel Video Studio, stream movies, TV & live sports.

These all have Intel Core i5-5200U-2.2 GHz- Turbo 2.7GHz.-15.6" 1366 x 768 screens (if you have suggestion with different screen size that's good too) - 6 to 8 GB RAM w 2 slots. BT 4.0 & USB 3.0.
------------------------------------  
(1) Lenovo -G50-80
Intel HD Graphics 5500
500GB- 5400 RPM
4.62 lbs
I like the design & weigh of it. At $399 its the cheapest.  I could replace the HDD with a SSD & still be under $500. Is that the best option?

(2)HP - 350 G2 L8D60UT
Intel HD Graphics 5500
500GB- 7200 RPM
5.07 Lbs
How much better is a 7200 RPM HDD. Its the only one on the list. All other =5400.

(3) ACER - Aspire E5-573G-59C3
NVIDIA Geforce 940M- Dedicated 2GB
1TB-5400 RPM & 8GB SSD
5.29Lbs
How much better is Nvidia Geforce 940M over Intel 5500? Is the hybrid 1TB & 8GB SSD good idea? I'm not wild about its white interior but is this the most unique laptop on the list?

Any suggestions & feedback would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:57 PM

Hi (sorry, don't know your name),

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of the 3 you list...

I am a huge fan of ASUS machines.  I will happily sell them to clients any day & twice on Sunday, as the saying goes.  They are very good & so is their warranty. 

I highly recommend either of these, for you!

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K550JD/

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K555LA/

Both can be nicely Upgraded to Windows 10. :)

Edited by Drew1903, 06 July 2015 - 11:58 PM.

#3 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:02 AM

How much better is Nvidia Geforce 940M over Intel 5500? Is the hybrid 1TB & 8GB SSD good idea? I'm not wild about its white interior but is this the most unique laptop on the list?

The 940M is well over twice as powerful. The worst case scenario with the hybrid setup is that the SSD fails and it only uses the 1TB HDD. Acer laptops set up with that combo just uses the small SSD as a cache and not for any real data. Genuinely am surprised it's marked down to the price of the others. Recommend it out of the other two, but

Also could you list the country you're buying in? The guy above me lists two Canada only laptops. Would like to know.

Hi (sorry, don't know your name),

Welcome to the forum.

Instead of the 3 you list...

I am a huge fan of ASUS machines.  I will happily sell them to clients any day & twice on Sunday, as the saying goes.  They are very good & so is their warranty. 

I highly recommend either of these, for you!

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K550JD/

http://www.asus.com/ca-en/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/K555LA/

Both can be nicely Upgraded to Windows 10. :)

Both are Canada only, both use last generation CPU's, and the 2nd is well out of the given price range.

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#4 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 10:46 AM

Sorry, did not realise or think they were Canada only; the caveat here is buy an ASUS.

#5 yorocco7

yorocco7
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 166 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 11:56 AM

I'm in USA & have been looking for laptops on Newegg, Tiger Direct & a couple other sights. I did really like the ASUS laptops Drew recommended but they not in my $500 range. I really can't find any i5 Asus in the $500 range. Of my weeks of research 2 things have remained constant 5th Gen i5 is better than any AMD. (i7 is the best but those laptops start at min. $649.00) & Nvidia dedicated graphics cards are way better then intel HD 5500. So I'm basically looking for the best laptop out there with at least intel 5th gen i5 2.0ghz processor & a Nvidia dedicated card. It's been difficult to fine that combination. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Acer 5738Z - Pent.Dual Core T4200 2.0GHz - 4.00GB RAM - 64-Bit Vista Biz & Win7 Pro -Latest Moz.F.F. & T.B.- Avast!

#6 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

Of my weeks of research 2 things have remained constant 5th Gen i5 is better than any AMD. (i7 is the best but those laptops start at min. $649.00) & Nvidia dedicated graphics cards are way better then intel HD 5500. So I'm basically looking for the best laptop out there with at least intel 5th gen i5 2.0ghz processor & a Nvidia dedicated card. It's been difficult to fine that combination. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Then that Acer is your best bet. In fact the MSRP for it is 650$. You rarely see any laptop at all (new) with a dedicated card for any less then 550$. For most of those entry level dedicated laptop GPUs the physical card is just barely more powerful then the integrated at the price point. Only performance benefits coming from better driver support then the integrated has. That Acer is a god find. 

Oh and ASUS puts a lot of time and money choices in part quality over part performance. You'll be hard pressed to find something from ASUS that has a i5 in your price range.  Not to say other laptop companies are bad, but they focus more on other aspects. If I wanted a laptop to haul around the world I'd choose a ASUS. If I wanted one that gave the best performance per dollar I'd buy a Acer. If I was in a professional business setting I'd most likely find myself with a Lenovo. Most companies have one thing that they're really good at, ASUS is quality oriented. 

99% of the time, I edit for type-o's and grammar. I'll note it if that's not the case. 

I write near essays for most my responses, and then try to condense as best I can to the introduction of one. Less is more. Let me know if I post to much. 

I do a lot of spacing for readability. Let me know if that makes my posts seem to big. 

#7 sjpritch25

sjpritch25

• Security Colleague
  • 898 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:24 PM

That's a tough price to get an i5 with 6 to 8gb of RAM and that video card.   Maybe wait till back school deals.  

Microsoft MVP Consumer Security--2007-2010

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:26 PM

You can get this 11" ASUS w/in your budget.  It may not be all you wanted... hard to find @ $500.  This is only $200

Asus EeeBook X205TA

With a battery life of more than 12 hours, one of the least expensive laptops on this list also lasts the longest. At $200, the 11-inch Asus EeeBook X205TA offers an affordable solution for basic computing needs, with a 1.7-GHz Intel CPU, 2GB of RAM, a 32GB flash drive and 1TB of cloud storageicon1.png. Weighing in at only 2.16 pounds, the X205TA is easy to take with you no matter how far away from a power outlet you roam.

The recent influx of low-priced Chromebooks and budget Windows laptops is more than just the revival of the netbook craze. Asus, the company that started the netbook fad back in 2007, joins the HP Stream 11 and other budget machines in delivering a full Windows experience for a very aggressive price. The $199 EeeBook X205TA offers outstanding battery life, a solid 11-inch screen, a sleek design and the ability to tackle all your everyday computing needs. It has some flaws, but overall, this is the best laptop we've seen for such a low price. - See more at: http://www.laptopmag.com/reviews/laptops/asus-eeebook-x205ta#sthash.EfzMYeND.dpuf

Here are some (well 3, anyway), ASUS, actual, laptops @ just slightly over $500 @ tigerdirect.ca.  Pricing should be/would be slightly less in US dollars.  You cannot get what you seek for only $500, I don't believe.

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/Category/guidedSearch.asp?CatId=17&sel=Price;Price6,Mfr;Mfr_107

ASUS is quality oriented.

Damn right they are!!  And great warranties, too!  I have had to open up HPs, et al and ASUS, what a difference!!... Talk about sturdy, solid construction, built like tanks.  And they do not get hot.  They're terrific for many reasons.

Even out of the box w/ an OS drive & a Data drive.  Love it, saves me creating same.

Edited by Drew1903, 07 July 2015 - 03:39 PM.

#9 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:09 AM

Chromebooks 

Chromebooks can't run photoshop or Corel Video Studio.

Edited by SEANIA, 08 July 2015 - 12:09 AM.

#10 mebudeped

mebudeped

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

well,Most companies have one thing that they're really good at, ASUS is quality oriented.7.gif

Edited by mebudeped, 09 July 2015 - 08:24 PM.

#11 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 11:23 PM

well,Most companies have one thing that they're really good at, ASUS is quality oriented.7.gif

Plus, great Features & outstanding warranties!

#12 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 AM

Posted 11 July 2015 - 10:06 AM

I'd prefer Asus. And better have i7 Intel Core. Its much faster than i5.

Edited by malynensi, 11 July 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#13 SEANIA

SEANIA

• Members
  • 377 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

Won't find one in the 500$ range. You'd be surprised that there is very little difference between the mobile Celeron, Pentium, i3, i5, and most i7s in laptops.

The Celeron has almost all fancy instruction sets disabled, no hyper threading, and is generally clocked very very low comparatively. Uses the same dual core chip as the others (sometimes there is a cut down single core variant). 

The Pentiums lacks hyper threading, a few instruction sets are disabled, and the core speed is normal, but uses the same chip.

The i3s use the same dual core chip, but with hyper threading (so 4 usable threads) and has those other instruction sets enabled.  

The i5s are exactly the same as the i3 in all but one way, they have turbo boost enabled. Meaning one of the two cores can clock up a tad higher when only it is being used.

The lower end i7s still use the same exact dual core chip as all the others, but is clocked higher with all the other things enabled like turbo boost and the instruction sets.

Problem is most manufactures who implement the i7's don't cool them properly. Meaning any sort of advantage they could've had from being clocked higher is lost. 

Only the most high end laptop i7's contain quad core CPUs, and most of the cheap laptops that use them (and those start at 850$ if you can even find them) run into cooling problems just like the dual core i7's, but on a much worse scale with much worse thermal throttling. A quality laptop from ASUS can run those chips at their rated speed, but they are in the 1200$ area. 

Point is, unless you have money to burn on a 1200$ laptop for a quad core that's cooled properly- the i5's are as good as it gets for laptops within a reasonable price range. 

Edited by SEANIA, 11 July 2015 - 11:27 AM.

#14 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:04 PM

I recommend you watch this video

#15 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

I have an i7 & 8GB RAM in my PC.  Someday Santa is going to bring me an ASUS laptop for Christmas.  Speaking of which, I should probably write him another letter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users