Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Norton 360

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 ajcstr

ajcstr

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:55 PM

I'm a little confused about Norton's subscription policy give their new products.

I know i can't use a Norton 360 key on the new product, but can I do a fresh install/activation of Norton 360 2014 version ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:43 PM

Sorry, would love to help but, I don't recommend Norton, never have, never will.  Mostly what I have done w/ Norton over the years is remove it for my customers, often @ their request.  All have been grateful for saving their money and having better performance & a safer experience.

Edited by Drew1903, 06 July 2015 - 10:43 PM.

#3 PuReinSAniTY

PuReinSAniTY

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:27 AM

I don't see why you can't, If you have any problems you should post them on the norton forum, but as drew has said, not many people like notron and I see bitdefender as a much better option, but, that is only my opinion.

they call me te java mayster

#4 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:51 AM

If you need help with Norton, I recommend posting in the Norton Community Forum.

There is no need to change your antivirus if you are happy with it... if you do want to change, feel free to post here for advice.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,136 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:12 AM

Updating your Norton product to the latest version
Norton Upgrades & Renewals
Norton Update Center
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:53 AM

Norton used to have many instances where the product was free after rebate, so any time I would see this I would pick one up because it was always possible to install the latest version and use the key from the older product (as long as it wasn't really old).  With the 2015 versions you can't do that as they renamed the product.  I am assuming the keys will work with the 2014 versions of the products - unless they prohibit that now also.  Just wondering if anyone had tried.

Edited by ajcstr, 08 July 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#7 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,544 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:00 AM

I guess you are confused because they decided to rebrand all their products under a single one around a year ago?

http://www.cnet.com/news/symantec-to-reduce-norton-line-to-one-security-suite/

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#8 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:02:58 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:03 AM

ajcstr, who is your internet service provider?

#9 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:14 PM

ajcstr, who is your internet service provider?

Comcast/Xfinity - but I'm a nice guy - I install these on other people's computers when they ask me to look at them and they don't have AV :)

#10 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:19 PM

I guess you are confused because they decided to rebrand all their products under a single one around a year ago?

http://www.cnet.com/news/symantec-to-reduce-norton-line-to-one-security-suite/

I understand that they rebranded, I was confused about people complaining they had to pay for their license again.  I guess they were unable to upgrade without buying a new license.  First time I read about it I thought Symantec was canceling the licenses as of April or at least not allowing you to activate a new install of an old version of the product (which I'm still not sure about). 

#11 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 08 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

Comcast/Xfinity - but I'm a nice guy - I install these on other people's computers when they ask me to look at them and they don't have AV :)

I take that to mean you don't want to install Norton on YOUR computer. Am I correct in thinking this?

#12 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

I have the comcast branded one running there.

Nothing is perfect, but free ain't bad.  I actually like Norton, not the pig it used to me.

Edited by ajcstr, 08 July 2015 - 02:14 PM.

#13 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:28 PM

I was going to mention Comcast provides Norton free to customers.

Moot point since you already have it installed.

#14 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

FYI:

Because an ISP offers some security product one is not obliged to use it.  One is free to use whatever else they desire instead.  Example;  My own ISP offers McAfee which, I certainly, have no interest in using...would be the same if it were Norton.  Ergo, instead, I have the security in place that does interest me.  Anyone has this same freedom of choice.

#15 ajcstr

ajcstr
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:59 PM

FYI:

Because an ISP offers some security product one is not obliged to use it.  One is free to use whatever else they desire instead.  Example;  My own ISP offers McAfee which, I certainly, have no interest in using...would be the same if it were Norton.  Ergo, instead, I have the security in place that does interest me.  Anyone has this same freedom of choice.

Agreed - but if I like it AND I am paying for it anyway AND it never expires.....

I don't use it on all the PC's in the house (Webroot on a couple) but I do use it.

Which vendors are your favorites?

Edited by ajcstr, 08 July 2015 - 03:43 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users