Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unwanted Proxy Server Keeps Returning

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 Retired_Guy

Retired_Guy

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:53 PM

My ASUS Desktop PC running Windows 8.1 has developed a persistent problem that has thus far defied all efforts to fix.  I am running Norton Internet Security, Malwarebytes Anti-Malware Home (Premium), and also scan from time to time with Hitman Pro.  In an effort to combat the present problem, I also have downloaded Adware Cleaner and Junkware Removal Tool.

THE PROBLEM:  An unwanted proxy server (ProxyServer http=127.0.0.1:13081) is detected both by Malwarebytes and Adware Cleaner, and both programs remove it (although Adware Cleaner also fixes adverse ProxyEnable and ProxyOverride settings that also seem to come with the unwanted proxy server, while Malwarebytes only removes the ProxyServer line in the registry).  I have scanned the computer with all of these tools and eliminated anything that was flagged (which was not much).  Every time I run JRT, it reports "Successfully repaired: [Registry Value] HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search\\SearchAssistant" but nothing else.

After running these programs and removing the proxy server from the registry, I see that after a few minutes of inactivity on the computer, all of a sudden the unwanted proxy server settings reappear.  The proxy server just won't give up.

How can I be rid of this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users