Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome not loading....

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 mojomidget

mojomidget

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:25 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:30 PM

My wife recently bought an Asus Laptop from the almighty provider of electronics....(wal-mart) While I was on the road working....and when I returned she was in the kitchen, mashing keys and pulling hair....I was quite entertained, but I had to put a stop to it before she turned my $500 into a paperweight. But I have quickly realized...I've been out of the game for far too long...like....windows XP days...I'm lost with this Window 8.1. Google chrome wont open...I reinstalled it...and it opens in the task manager...but never actually opens. IE. works...but is sluggish. I did a search on here to see if any similar posts have been published. But didn't come up with much. If this is in the wrong place....please forgive me....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

Ok, so all the frustration is because Chrome won't open and IE is "sluggish".  My 1st thought, is bide your time until the 29th when you can switch it to Windows 10.  @ which point you can use Edge for browsing which is superior to both Chrome and IE.  Plus, bonus, Windows 10 is a bit more 'familiar ground' when coming from old XP than, 8.1 is.

Anyway, that ^ said & in the meantime...  Not exactly sure what you mean by "opens in Task Mgr" unless you mean you see it listed there.  Do you have a desktop icon for Chrome?  Is Chrome listed in Programs & Features?  Is there a Tile for it on the Start screen?  Is it listed on the ALL Applications screen?

IF, it shows on either the Start screen or ALL Apps can you open it from there OR can you Rt Clk & Pin (it) to Taskbar?

Once my questions are answered, can know what more to say for you.  Ergo, anxious for your responses.

You should have an icon in the System Tray to "Reserve" the download for Windows 10 on the 29th - recommend you do that straight-away.

The lovely Folks @ Wal-mart may have never told you a thing about Windows 10.  But, @ least, someone has, now.

ASUS are really good machines.  The one brand of laptops I never hesitate to recommend & sell to my clients.

IF ASUS offered a 3rd Party security, pass on that & just use Windows Defender & Windows Firewall.

Cheers,
Drew

Edited by Drew1903, 06 July 2015 - 09:47 PM.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:25 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:49 AM

Perform malware scans.  If infected, I'd suggest posting over in the Am I Infected forum:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/103/am-i-infected-what-do-i-do/
Please read the pinned topics at the top of the forum for instructions on how to post there.

PS - Win10 is great as Drew1903 states.  Don't hesitate to upgrade, it combines the best of both worlds (Desktop and Metro).

Edited by usasma, 07 July 2015 - 05:51 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 mojomidget

mojomidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 10:07 PM

there is an icon on the desktop, and it is pinned in the start menu. I've tried opening from both locations to no avail. And by "opens in task manager". you're right. I see the task running. (multiple actually) and I've tried killing those processes and then starting chrome. Yet still didn't work. When I click the (Quick Launch?) on what I'm gonna call the old task bar. The icon blinks red. I wouldn't think too much into this, but this laptop is fairly new. and she only uses it to access facebook, youtube, and email her family. I will try what USASMA says . Thanks again fellas for any help and advice...I've been a member of BC for a while...and you guys usually steer me in the right direction.

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:08 PM

Ok, here's is what we are going to do...  Assuming Chrome is listed in Programs & Features, uninstall it and reboot.  Then, obviously, using some other browser, IE or terrific Edge, go find & download the installer for Chrome & install it.

Now, report on where things stand, please.

#6 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

Unistall Google chrome. remove all icons manually from desktop, task bar or some other places. go to Windows file section in C drive  go to windows file section. Here you will be find folder name Google open it and delete all files under chrome folder.If not then proceed to next step

1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

2. Locate the following subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html

3. On the File menu, click Export.

4. In the Export Registry File dialog box, enter HKCU_Classes_HTML_Backup.reg and click Save.

Note: This will create a backup of this registry key in the My Documents folder by default.

5. Right click the (Default) value for the .html key and select Modify...

6. Change the value from "ChromeHTML" to "htmlfile"

Repeat steps 1-6 for .htm .shtml .xhtm and .xhtml keys if they exist, remember to change the name of your backup file for each export.

So now you completely remove Google chrome from your Laptop. Now you can try new and latest version of the chrome

#7 mojomidget

mojomidget
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 10:49 AM

Okay, Okay, I feel foolish. I uninstalled chrome...and reinstalled it before. Now, Now, it works. Thanks Drew1903. I also did what reckonankit suggested. Regardless, You guys here a BC never let me down. 

#8 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 11:08 AM

Okay, Okay, I feel foolish. I uninstalled chrome...and reinstalled it before. Now, Now, it works. Thanks Drew1903. I also did what reckonankit suggested. Regardless, You guys here a BC never let me down. 

Great news and you're welcome.  and like I tell so many, mine is a normal name w/out numbers which had to be added just to indulge computers... thus, no numbers in the Sig :)

Edited by Drew1903, 15 July 2015 - 11:09 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users