Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Freezes on the hour every hour mystery?!

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 MiStar

MiStar

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:07 PM

My system: Windows 7, 8 GB RAM, AMD Phenom II x4, boot off SSD, HDD for mass storage, Gigabyte Mobo...

So my computer (2 yrs old) started freezing after running for an hour.  Appeared to have no correlation to what activities I was doing.  First symptoms: Chrome (installed on C Drive) would freeze ("waiting on cache") Then windows explorer would freeze, then video would cut black and sound would play a steady tone (assuming mobo crashed at this point). Then comp would shut down reboot and be unable to find an OS to load.  If I shoot the comp, it reboots and runs just fine until another hour passes and same thing.

I assumed my C Drive (SSD) was going bad so I ran a few hard drive health softwares and all came back 100%.  I then assumed my RAM was broken and not clearing properly so I ran memtest and it came back clean.  At this point I assume it's a windows error.

My next course of action was to do a clean install of Windows 7.  Not only that but I also installed it on a different SSD.  Seemed to resolve the issue for a day but now its back, however not as consistent.  Every once in a while after booting it will freeze in an hour however it will not crash.  Just freezes windows explorer and chrome will be "loading cache" however other apps on the C drive such as rainmeter and itunes appear to still work unless that's just it running off of RAM.  If I am installing anything, such as a windows update or software, as run time approaches an hour it will most definitely freeze.  If operating normally, it occasionally runs smoothly past an hour.  The first time I noticed the freeze again after the fresh install was after trying to mount an ISO file, not sure if its related or not...

I'm stumped - What could be causing this?!  

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:08 AM

Have you checked your Scheduled Tasks for events that occur hourly?

Let's look at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

2)  Please provide this information (even though you're not having BSOD problems) so we can provide a complete analysis (from the Pinned Topic at the top of the forum):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:28 AM

Got another one for the Scheduled Tasks:

Open up an elevated (run as Administrator) Command Prompt and use this command:

schtasks /query /fo csv /v > %userprofile%\Desktop\SchdTask.csv

It will put a file named SchdTask.csv on your Desktop

Zip that up and upload it with your next post.

If you want to look at it and don't have a spreadsheet program, you can use this command to produce a table in text format:

schtasks /query /fo table /v > %userprofile%\Desktop\SchdTask.txt

Edited by usasma, 07 July 2015 - 05:46 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for your help!!  I compressed the event history admin file as well as the scheduled tasks into a folder and uploaded here.

Attached Files

#5 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:49 PM

Perfmon and SysnativeFileCollectionApp zips attached.

Attached Files

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:15 AM

Only 1 hourly task:

The Windows Diagnostic Infrastructure Resolution host enables interactive resolutions for system problems detected by the Diagnostic Policy

It doesn't seem to relate to problem that you're having, but you can disable the task in order to test and see if it's to blame.  Be sure to re-enable it once you're done testing.

This one happens prior to every reboot.  Run the FixIt on this page to remove the error:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545227:

Event filter with query "SELECT * FROM __InstanceModificationEvent WITHIN 60 WHERE TargetInstance ISA "Win32_Processor" AND TargetInstance.LoadPercentage > 99" could not be reactivated in namespace "//./root/CIMV2" because of error 0x80041003. Events cannot be delivered through this filter until the problem is corrected.

Please uninstall AVG and install Microsoft Security Essentials temporarily (so you are protected while testing).  It's free from here:  http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/security-essentials-download
If this fixes things, you'll either have to install a fresh copy of AVG, pick another antivirus, or just stay with Microsoft Security Essentials

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F4) dates from 2011.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.

Only 134 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?
One of the hard drives is a Crucial M4.  These had firmware issues a while ago - please check to ensure that your firmware is up to date on this drive.

No events in the WER section of MSINFO32.  If using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner), please stop using it while we're troubleshooting.  It deletes some of the reports that we need, and it can cause system problems (IMO) if overused.

Have you been able to monitor the temps through at least one freeze cycle?  If so, did it show any problems with the temps?

Edited by usasma, 08 July 2015 - 06:18 AM.

#7 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 11:15 PM

Still experiencing freezes around an hour of run time.  Although every process is freezing as opposed to selected processes as before.  Below lists most recent measures I've taken.

-- Ran fix it at "https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2545227:"

-- Uninstalled AVG and installed MSE

-- Bios update for my gigabyte ga-970a-ud3 requires bios flash, which I am prepared to do but have not yet done.

-- Installed all currently available windows updates (~70), the following update failed:

"Update for Windows 7 for x64-based Systems (KB2952664)

Installation date: ?7/?8/?2015 4:13 PM
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80242016
Update type: Recommended"

-- My crucial m4 drive is an unused drive in my current configuration.

-- My power supply is 630W Raidmax LED HYBRID2 RX-630SS about 3 yrs old

-- Have stopped using CCleaner

-- Monitored temps have not changed much.  Attached is a screenshot of the temps during a freeze.  They do look higher than what I'm reading from my fan controller display.

Attached Files

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2015 - 04:29 AM

Try this for the Windows Update failure:

There's not many experts at fixing Windows Updates.
I am not one of them.
But the few experts that there are a sorely overworked - so getting a reply will be difficult.
I'll continue to attempt to help here, but please bear with me.

First, please try the Windows Update troubleshooter/fixes listed here:
Windows Update Troubleshooter:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/gp/windows-update-issues/en-us
Windows Update Troubleshooter KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2714434
Reset Windows Update Components KB article:  https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Then, if that doesn't fix the Windows Update problem, please do the following 2 things. (copied from here:  http://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-update/4736-windows-update-forum-posting-instructions.html ):

Run SFCFix

This free tool of neimiro's creation (see above link) is a very good starting point for the diagnosis and repair of all Windows Update and System File Checker corruptions. We therefore need you to run this tool prior to collecting logfiles.

-  First download and run a copy of the tool from http://www.sysnative.com/niemiro/apps/SFCFix.exe.
        -  Work through any on-screen prompts and then await completion (runtime is approximately 15 minutes).
        -  Once it has finished, if there are any unrepaired corruptions (the tool will notify you if it has succeeded in repairing all corruptions if they're simple in which case we're no longer needed) or unresolved problems with your computer, you need to post us the complete logfile which opens on exit. Simply copy (Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C) and paste (Ctrl-V) the entire logfile into your new thread (also know as a 'topic'). How to create a new thread is shown later on in this post.

Export CBS folder

-  On Windows 8, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
        -  On Windows Vista/7, click the Start button StartButton_16x16.gif then click Computer.
        -  Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
        -  Find and double click on the Logs folder.
        -  Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
        -  Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
        -  Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
        -  A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created.

As for the first item (SFCFix), just copy and paste into your post as indicated.
For the second item (CBS log), please zip it up and upload it with your next post.
If it's too big to upload (or you get an error), just upload it to a free file hosting service (such as OneDrive or DropBox).  Ensure that it's shared and then post a link to it here.

It doesn't matter if you're using the M4 or not.  The fact that it's connected to the system is enough (if the firmware is a problem).  As you're not using it, the simplest thing would be to disconnect it from the motherboard and the power supply.

Temp sensors may be interpreted differently by different programs.  But your temps aren't looking bad either way - so I'd guess that temps aren't the problem.

If it continues to freeze (let it freeze several times to help populate the error reports), please post a fresh copy of the Admin.zip report and a fresh copy of the SysnativeFileCollectionApp.zip files

#9 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 02:58 PM

Thanks for your help - I am still experiencing freezes.  However now there are 2 types:  it either continues to freeze every hour or it will run indefinitely until I attempt to shut it down in which case it will freeze during the shutdown process.  Several cycles of each of these freezes are in the attached "Troublshooting" zip which contains new Admin, Perfmon, and SysnativeFileCollectionApp data files.

I have however been able to successfully keep up with windows updates.

Attached Files

#10 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:22 PM

Update:  If my computer makes it past the 1 hour mark without freezing, as soon as I open a resource intense program such as Adobe Premiere, it immediately freezes.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Looking through the Application and System event logfiles, there's nothing really significant to see.
As such, I'd have to wonder about a hardware issue.

Also, relooking at the screen shot of the temps - I noticed that Fan3 was at 99%

When the system freezes, can you see what fan is going at full speed?

#12 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 06:50 PM

I suspect a hardware issue as well but what would piece of hardware would you guess?  I wouldn't really know where to start since I'm on a new SSD and there appears to be no issue with my RAM, CPU, or mobo.

The fan thing is odd as my fan controller reports none of the fans running at more than 60% so my only guess would be cpu fan or an inaccurate reading.  Could be the power supply I suppose?

Edited by MiStar, 13 July 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 05:52 AM

Don't rely on sensor readings 100% - they may not be correct.

I always try to verify a sensor reading with a physical test/inspection of some sort.

In this case it would be to unplug the system, open it up and ground yourself by grabbing onto the metal of the frame.

Then, feel around (without touching anything) to see if you can locate anything that's excessively hot.

DO NOT TOUCH ANYTHING because you can get 2nd or 3rd degree burns doing this - only get near enough to feel the heat.

Try the hardware diagnostics from here:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Once you have the results from that, then we can move onto other things (such as hardware stripdown:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html )

Good luck!

#14 MiStar

MiStar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

I appeared to have resolved the issue! Apparently the m4 update didn't take, so I re-updated and haven't had any issues so far (knock on wood)!! Thank you so much for troubleshooting with me, I really appreciate it.

#15 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2015 - 07:43 AM

That's great!  Thanks for letting us know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users