Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Adapter question!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 geetarzan69

geetarzan69

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:27 PM

I have an old laptop adapter that will fit into my Acer Aspire 5551-2468. I am just wondering if the input and output are compatible, and don't want to risk frying any electrical components. Can anyone tell me if the adapter I have is compatible before I plug it in? Thanks for any help!

Adapter I have - Input Volt Range: 100-240 / Output: 20V 6A 120W AC Adapter
Adapter I need - Input Volt Range: 100-240 / Output: 19V 3.42A 65W

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:09 PM

Here is your answer, the adapter must match the LT.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,715 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

This can be confusing if you don't have the original.  Those two have differing current ratings.  The configuration of the connector, tip and ring, positive, negative means you could fry the unit with a reverse polarity. 

#4 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:22 PM

Sorry I should have included vendor links. below two that state 19 volts.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/NEW-ADAPTER-65W-CHARGER-FOR-ACER-ASPIRE-5551-2468-5551-2631-5551-2757-5551-2801-/351215382690

http://www.qkyparts.com/acer-aspire-5551-2468-laptop-ac-adapter.html

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 13,998 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:23 PM

So which adapter are you saying is the old one you have?

If it's the 20V one, then as OldPhil's links suggest, looks like the correct voltage for your laptop is 19V, so you risk possibly damaging the laptop if you supply it with 20V.

This is assuming the polarity of the two plugs is the same, usually centre positive. The higher current rating is not a problem, this specifies the maximum current the supply can provide if a laptop attempts to draw that much. As long as the actual current the laptop needs is lower than the PSU rating, you're OK.

The voltage is the one that should match. It's possible that a 20V supply could be used, as a laptop uses internal regulators to derive the necessary operating voltages and charge the battery, but there's no way to be sure that extra voltage won't damage something.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,049 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:37 AM

Polarity should not be an issue, industry standard is the same on all types of connectors center is plus shield is negative.

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 06:59 AM

I can't say for Acers, but my Dell won't accept the power from an adapter that isn't compatible. So as far as I know you can connect any adapter, and if it isn't compatible, it will tell you and all will be fine. I only found this out because if it isn't plugged quite right, it tells you the charger is not compatible and won't charge. I assume some sort of protection is built in.

Can't say for Acer though.

"A lizard in the desert wouldn't eat that." ~Gordon Ramsay

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users