Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CD playback

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 jrv

jrv

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:45 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:12 PM

I have a CD that has all my Avery address labels (& addresses) on it that I created on an old desk top w/windows XP. Well, I now have a Laptop that has Windows 8.1 & the CD  just shows all jumbled up  letters, etc. (I'm sure there is a word for that, but I don't know it.) I also bought & installed Windows 7 on the old desk top & same thing there.

Unfortunately I didn't write down or print a copy of my addresses. is there a way I can view the address CD>

Thanks

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 06 July 2015 - 07:20 PM.
Title edited as correction

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:26 PM

jrv,

It's been a long time since I've done mass mailings but I used the Avery product within Word to merge my letter text with the addressees. I know that it also works with the Open Office Write product and I suspect other word processors.

I don't know what you have but it sounds like it might be a text file that Word or write would recognize and be able to use.

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

If, as Dicke suggests, it is a text file try opening it with either 'Notepad' - a basic text editor - or 'Wordpad' - which can handle files in 'Rich Text Format' (RTF) - both of which you will find in 'Windows accessories'. Failing that, it might be a CSV type file (Comma Separated Values) in which case try opening it in Excel or another spreadsheet type package. Another way to go would be to try opening it in 'Compatibility view'. You might have a better chance of this working on the Win 7 machine.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thank you both, but none of these options show when I click on open the CD.

I did see the option open in notepad, but it wouldn't open.

Edited by jrv, 07 July 2015 - 12:46 PM.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:04 PM

One final possibility that I can think of. If you look at the address file in windows Explorer and RIGHT click on it to get to the menu with 'Open with . . .' on it, at the very bottom of the the dialogue box that opens is an option to search the web for an application to open the file with.

As I have never yet had to resort to this I have no idea how effective it might be, or how long it might take to search, but by the sound of it you have nothing to lose !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

jrv,

Let's try one more thing.

Open your word processor, I'm using Word so all of the steps may not be exactly the same, and bring up a blank document. Click on MAILINGS, Then SELECT RECIPIENTS, then USE EXISTING LIST and point to your CD full of data. See if that will allow you to see the contents in some sort of organized fashion.

Dick

Dick E

#7 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

I use word also. I didn't see a mailings option.

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll try anything you can think of.

#8 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 12:45 PM

Just looking at Word 2010 and with a document open along the top of the screen one of the options is MAILINGS

I think you're trying to confuse me :scratchhead: :unsure: :o :P

Dick E

#9 jrv

jrv
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

Ha ha .. no , I am the one confused....  believe it or not. I'm using Word 2002....

#10 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:44 PM

Now you're making me feel old. I think I remember using that a loooong time ago.

The process should be similar. The CD is full of addresses and they can be stuffed into envlope formats or as the addresses on documents.

The way I used to do it was to create the letter and for the address I put the key words

[title first last

address

city state zip]

at the top.

Then click on merge and point to the file. I'd take a short break while the computer fed the joined data into the printer and when I returned I have my monthly newsletters ready to fold and stuff into window envelopes. Still had to lick the stamps then :(

Dick

Dick E

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,874 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:39 PM

2002 was essentially similar in appearance to 2003. 'Tools - Mailing and labels' is where you will find it.

Chris Cosgrove

#12 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:35 PM

Thanks Chris

Those details are lost in the fog of times past

Dick