Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System Problems: Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 RenegadePrue

RenegadePrue

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:47 PM

Okay, I started off with a virus that corrupted my registry and operating system.  The virus has been handled and there are no traces of it but it has left its lasting effect on my computer.  I can not install some programs without it freezing my computer.  (Example:  Norton Antivirus, it will freeze as soon as it starts installing around 20%)  I have been in the virus section for the last 2 weeks and they asked me to post here as there are corrupted registry files but he could not tell me which ones were corrupt or missing as well as possible operating system problems???  I am able to install things like Farbar, ESet antivirus installed properly, tdsskiller, but other programs like adobe , Norton, etc freeze my computer everytime.

Appreciate any insight and help I can get!

Not sure if it helps but this was the response from Virus team:

photo-thumb-72247.gif?_r=0

• Malware Response Team
  • 26,381 posts
  •  
    • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted Today, 05:59 AM

I had hoped that I could find a common denominator and suggest your reinstall a .net but all we found is the entries in the registry. No reference to what is missing or corrupted.

This is not malware and not my forte.

I suggest you start a new topic in the Windows 7 forum. An expert with that operating system may be able to your better than I can.
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/f/167/windows-7/

I will leave this topic open. If you need to return please do.

Edited by RenegadePrue, 06 July 2015 - 12:49 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jelerak

Jelerak

• Members
  • 221 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 01:08 PM

Dear RenegadePure;

Have you tried to repair your windows installation? Do you have a windows 7 DVD? Here is a link to repair your Operating system:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/start-the-windows-7-recovery-environment/

Jelerak

#3 RenegadePrue

RenegadePrue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:30 AM

I have tried but the virus destroyed all of my restore options.  It is a dell computer but it did not come with the recovery disk or windows 7, it does have a partition with recovery but it does not have a letter assigned to it so I was not sure how to restore from it without it being listed as a letter.  It is blank where it showed have a letter.  I have tried to restore from the files I could find but once it tried to restore it always says windows could not restore from this restore point.  So I am at a loss as to what to do!  I will start with repairing operating system! 

#4 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Maybe using a tool like Kaspersky Recovery Disk 10, (works on any system and OS version).  Takes forever but can at least get you inside and find the issue and repair it?  Its used for virus, but I use it for repair so the system works again, which it does as well.

Here is the link to it, and the info on using it.

Kaspersky Rescue Disk 10

Hope this helps

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

#5 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:14 AM

Ok, I'll be blunt...

Following your description of the behavior & situation... do waste any time, effort or fuss.  Do the following.

1st Recover this thing back to Factory Settings using Ctrl+F11

After it is up & running again do JUST the following:
1. Install MSE  only.  Only ONE Security program!!
2. DL & install all Important Windows Updates.
3. Install CCleaner. Use it daily & only Run Cleaner
4. Other GOOD utilities to consider for Win7 are SpywareBlaster and Malwarebytes  Both are free... select Manual Updating w/ SB & update it wkly.

Do not mess w/ the Registry nor have any 'Tools' messing w/ it, either.

Edited by Drew1903, 07 July 2015 - 01:18 AM.

#6 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:57 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 02:33 AM

A Factory Install sounds good , Ensure though that you have Backed Up anything you need to keep like Personal Files / Photos etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users