Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading to Win 10

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 waveydavey1

waveydavey1

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:22 PM

I was wondering wether to upgrade to Win10 and am unsure wether the mail section is working,I would hate upgrading and then not be able to get my emails.also would the other apps work.Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:41 PM

Hi waveydavey1 :)

By "mail", are you talking about the "Mail" application in Windows 8/8.1, or the Windows Live Mail? Also, can you list a few other apps you would like to know if they work or not under Windows 10? The "apps" will still be present on Windows 10 so yes, they'll still work.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 bassfisher6522

bassfisher6522

• Members
  • 90 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:52 PM

As of build 10162, yes the mail app works...although I don't use it. I'll stick with my office suite 2010 on 8.1 and testing the new 2016 office suite with 10 build 10162. Personally I like the new 2016 office suite, looking for to the release of it. 

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:25 AM

So from what you told me via PM, you mean your "everyday email". It doesn't tell me a lot. You could access them from multiple sources. The Mail app, Outlook, Thunderbird, your web browser, etc. Without the name of the app or program you are using to access them I cannot really answer that. But it looks to me like you are using the Mail app and like bassfisher said, the Mail app works starting on build 10162 and it'll work on Windows 10 release.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:14 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:44 PM

I'm using Windows 10 on my main computer, it really is that stable! However I do wave a Windows 7 laptop to use if I need to, otherwise it would be crazy if this was my only PC.

My email account is a Microsoft Exchange account, and miraculously it works on the Windows 10 Mail program. That surprised me because that account really only works on Outlook 2013. It doesn't really work on Outlook 2010 and doesn't work on Windows Live Mail (the Windows 7 one), Outlook 2003 or Outlook Express. Not only that, but it only required my address and password and loaded up straight away! I believe Outlook requires a few setting to be changed etc.

Compatibility seems great considering it's a new OS. Not as compatible as Windows 7, but Windows 10 has a new build number, so I'm assuming it's a new step, like Windows 2000 or Vista were. Then again, they might have just wanted to avoid a separate build number to the marketing number, and it could well be considered NT 6.4.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:57 PM

Microsoft Exchange account from your own company? Did you set Windows 10 Mail app so if connects to your Exchange server?

unite_blue.png

#7 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:07 AM

Microsoft Exchange account from your own company? Did you set Windows 10 Mail app so if connects to your Exchange server?

No, it's the account I have from the school I attend. The IT worker told me that the account would only work on Outlook 2010 (or of course Outlook Web Access) and a year or so later they made a change of some sort and only Outlook 2013 worked.

I thought I'd try using the mail program on Windows 10 when I installed it; not expecting it to work, considering Live Mail and Outlook Express don't, and it asked for my address and password, then immediately showed my inbox. Single step process!

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#8 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 08:48 AM

Does your school have their own Exchange server, or is your Exchange server hosted at Microsoft (by Microsoft)?

unite_blue.png

#9 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:31 PM

I'm not sure, but I think they have their own. When I was trying to set up Outlook 2010 on my old PC I think I remember giving it URL with our school's domain. They have plenty of servers in the network, so I imagine they probably have a mail one. (I'm not so good with networks)

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#10 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:33 PM

If you use a custom Exchange address, you need to configure your mail client and give the proper server information, hence why I find it weird.

unite_blue.png

#11 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:37 PM

Well maybe it is a Microsoft server. I'll ask the IT guy if I see him on Monday.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#12 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:45 PM

Please do, I'm interesting in knowing the answer on that one :)

Here's what I meant (last step):

http://blink.ucsd.edu/technology/email/tasks/clients/win8-exchange.html#Enter-account-information

Edited by Aura., 11 July 2015 - 07:45 PM.

unite_blue.png

#13 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:31 PM

I just dug up the email he sent me ages ago about setting up Outlook, it shows a screenshot of the proxy settings and the URL has our domain with "owa." at the beginning. So I take it we have our own mail server. But I never input those settings. Maybe Mail somehow finds the address from the email address I gave it. I'm sure I never told it anything other than my address and password, I can even retry setting it up in a VM to double check if you want.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

#14 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,193 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:32 PM

That would be nice of you, yes :) Otherwise it means that Mail is able to find the settings for an Exchange server based on the address only.

unite_blue.png

#15 Karzahni

Karzahni

• Members
  • 157 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 09:38 PM

The VM is loading. I'll have to install Win 10 from scratch, as I didn't have any clean installs backed up. I'll use psr to record it too.

Done. I had to cut all the images from psr with Snipping Tool so I could edit out my details. Starts at step 4 because I skipped 1-3 which were me opening the Mail program.Attached File  step.zip   2.56MB   1 downloads

Edited by Karzahni, 11 July 2015 - 10:37 PM.

exe_zpsv0pycpmd.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users