Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Whats the smartest way to upgrade from 8.1.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Red Kelt

Red Kelt

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:24 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:09 PM

My PC is a year old and runs 8.1.  TBH it needs a reinstall badly as the apps dont launch anymore and I can 't seem to fix it.

Prior to downloading Win 10 do you think it would be a good idea to reload 8.1 as a fresh install?

..otherwise would Win 10 port over my Office 365 if I didn't do the 8.1 reinstall?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:40 PM

Hi Red Kelt :)

If you do a fresh install (or a Factory Reset) of your laptop before installing Windows 10, you'll have to install the KB3035583 again in order to have the "Get Windows 10" app to reserve your copy of Windows 10. Otherwise, the upgrade won't be downloaded automatically on your system once Windows 10 gets released on July 29th. Another idea would be to wait for the Windows 10 .iso to be published on Microsoft's website, download it, create an installation media and perform a fresh installation of it. It's your choice. Also, yes, the upgrade will port all your compatible programs to Windows 10, and Office 365 is one of these compatible programs.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:15 PM

Hi Red Kelt :)

If you do a fresh install (or a Factory Reset) of your laptop before installing Windows 10, you'll have to install the KB3035583 again in order to have the "Get Windows 10" app to reserve your copy of Windows 10. Otherwise, the upgrade won't be downloaded automatically on your system once Windows 10 gets released on July 29th. Another idea would be to wait for the Windows 10 .iso to be published on Microsoft's website, download it, create an installation media and perform a fresh installation of it. It's your choice. Also, yes, the upgrade will port all your compatible programs to Windows 10, and Office 365 is one of these compatible programs.

Many thx for the reply.

I just joined the insider program.  I dloaded a iso and wondered if it was a full install or an upgrade iso. 

Do you know if they will definately release a full install iso?  I might as well wait for that if its coming.

Any ideas?

#4 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:48 PM

This isn't the official Windows 10 .iso. This is a Windows 10 Technical Preview (beta) .iso. Windows 10 gets released worldwide on July 29th and I expect the RTM .iso to be posted on the Microsoft website shortly after.

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#5 Red Kelt

Red Kelt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 135 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

This isn't the official Windows 10 .iso. This is a Windows 10 Technical Preview (beta) .iso. Windows 10 gets released worldwide on July 29th and I expect the RTM .iso to be posted on the Microsoft website shortly after.

thx mate.

I'll wait for the full install iso to land.

#6 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:50 PM

No problem :) Here's the .iso you are downloading right now.

Windows 10 Insider Preview (x64) - Build 10162

Build X means that it's a TP (Technical Preview). The official release shouldn't have "Build" or will most likely have "RTM" appended instead.

unite_blue.png

#7 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:24 AM

Posted 13 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Fix your 8.1 before you install, k? And back it up.  Then do a clean install of Win10, because -- as I found out when I did what I'm suggesting to you -- EVEN THOUGH I did a clean install, Win10 did copy my 8.1 settings and the INITIAL 8.0 theme I had partly configured.  That caused a lot of problems, as the partial theme was not complete owing to glitches in customization that had to be resolved over the phone with MSFT. The only resolution was to redo Win10's themes, which took some hours to figure out.

So Win10 will look at your existing installation and key off it.  So either install Win10 to another machine, or do a complete restore or something to get your 8.1 in shape.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#8 orlbuckeye

orlbuckeye

• Members
  • 250 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:21 PM

The problem is that you have to do the upgrade to Windows 10 to get the key then you can do a clean install so if Windows 8.1 is clean so will Windows 10. But if you do a clean 8.1 install then download the clean install from Windows 10 just so you have it.  

• Alienware 18 Intel Core i7 4810 QM 16GB DDR3
  • 18.4" (1920 x1080) 
  • 1 TB Samsung EVO MSATA SSD 1 TB WD 5400 RPM HD 750 GB WD 5400 RPM HD
  • Nvidia GT 860 GM SLI graphics
  • Windows 10 Pro + Surface Book i5 256gb SSD 8gb RAM DGPU

#9 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,664 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2015 - 12:24 PM

I honestly have no idea of what you just explained orlbuckeye.

unite_blue.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users