Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mini Chinese PC - Can't Boot From USB (BIOS)

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:39 AM

Hi,

I'm a student so naturally I wanted to divise some get-rich quick scheme, and found a website where I could import small PCs direct from manufacturer, I was planning on selling them for a small profit on eBay.

So when it finally arrived, I switched it on to find it booted into an unregistered copy of Windows 8.1. I have a DreamSpark account my old college provided me so got some legit ISOs of Windows 8.1 there. I burned the ISO to a disc and plugged a USB disc reader into the mini-PC, but it failed to boot and went straight to the SSD. I assumed as the mini-PC runs off a USB power source that the DVD reader was drawing too much power so used a tool to extract the ISO to a USB device, but to no avail.

I finally got into the BIOS settings to check the boot order but it doesn't have the standard PhoenixBIOS I'm used to, but an AMI Aptio utility, of which the only boot options are the Num-Lock state. I did look around for a bit and managed to enter a UEFI Shell, though I'm not entirely sure how to use this to boot from the USB (if at all possible).

Is there a way to show advanced options in the Aptio BIOS? I Googled it but the shift/ctrl/alt + F1 doesn't work for this. Or is there a way to get UEFI to boot it?

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 YeahBleeping

YeahBleeping

• Members
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:57 AM

I suspect that the bios/motherboard does not support booting from USB.  I suppose you would need to contact the manufacturer and see. /Or American Megatrends (bios) Sounds like the get rich quick side of your mini pc's are working more for the other guy.

#3 Asks-for-Boots

Asks-for-Boots
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:25 AM

I'm doubting the manufacturer will be of much help, it's one of these generic/OEM things so tracking them down would be a nightmare. I'm still ever hopeful as the UEFI shell supports booting from LAN (not much use here as the PC lacks an RJ45 port), and I can mount filesystems through it but there are no working directories so I can't seem to access what I've mounted. You're right though, probably time to just cut my losses. :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users