Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Problem Backing Up Data from Windows 8.1 Computer To Windows 7 Computer

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 pdaddy1475

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • Local time:05:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:56 AM

I have a Windows 8.1 computer that has a virus. I pulled the hard drive out of the Windows 8.1 computer and hooked it up to my Windows 7 computer via a data transfer kit that hooks up USB. I booted my Windows 7 computer up into safe mode and took over ownership of all the folders and files on my Windows 8.1 hard drive. After I took over ownership I copied my user folder that had 200GB of data to my Windows 7 computer to store my data temporarily while I formatted the Windows 8.1 drive to get rid of the virus. After I formatted and reloaded windows 8.1 I pulled the hard drive out of the computer and  hooked the drive back up to my Windows 7 computer. I then cut and paste all of the data back to my Windows 8.1 hard drive. The data copied correctly no problem but when I put the Drive back into the Windows 8.1 computer I cannot see any of my data that I copied from my Windows 7 computer. Any help would be appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,148 posts
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:33 AM

HDDs/SSDBs have identifiers which are are recognized from the motherboard it is installed with.  Before moving a hdd/ssd to another motherboard you need to remove these, to do this you generalize the operating system by using sysprep from the command prompt.  This must be done before moving the HDD/SSD.

In the Elevated Command Prompt type in CD C:\Windows\System32\Sysprep, then press Enter.  Then use the command: sysprep /generalize /oobe /shutdown, then press Enter.
If you do not do this prior to moving the drive you may only receive error messages.
Are the data that you can't read encrypted?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users