Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading an older system

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Duds38

Duds38

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:04 AM

Hi,

Hopefully I'm allowed to ask this on here. I have an old ecs p4m900 t-m motherboard and wondered if a geforce gtx 750 or 750ti would work on it? Also what's the best CPU that can fit on a socket lga 775.  I'm trying to piece together a pc that might run a few games but its older hardware so I'm guessing it may not work.

Any advice appreciated.

Duds

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Buzzsaw

Buzzsaw

• Banned
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:07 AM

Hi,

Hopefully I'm allowed to ask this on here. I have an old ecs p4m900 t-m motherboard and wondered if a geforce gtx 750 or 750ti would work on it? Also what's the best CPU that can fit on a socket lga 775.  I'm trying to piece together a pc that might run a few games but its older hardware so I'm guessing it may not work.

Any advice appreciated.

Duds

Duds,

Here are 3 components that I came up with during the search for components that will work on that motherboard.

I selected that processor due to it's power to run most games that you throw at it. It's not the top of the line Quad core, but it's not too bad considering that you have a motherboard that is around 7 years old.

However, the only thing that I don't know about is your current power supply unit.

I highly recommend getting one of the following branded PSUs. SeaSonic, Antec, or XFX. Those 3 brands are very will made and do not use cheap components like many other manufacturers use, thus lowering the fire / electrical hazard.

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($139.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $377.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-06 09:01 EDT-0400

Buzzsaw

You can find answers to your computer questions by doing an internet search. Go to www.google.com! Try it!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:32 AM

Is this your motherboard?  If it is, the fastest CPU you can have is a Core 2 Quad Q6700 according to the CPU tab.

Those graphics cards should work, so long as the power supply is capable of powering them.  I would add PC Power and Corsair onto that list of suggested PSU manufacturers.

Edited by DJBPace07, 06 July 2015 - 10:33 AM.

3939.png

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:49 PM

Personal opinion is that if you're spending almost $400 to upgrade an ancient machine you might want to put that money towards a newer machine.  It is one thing to spend $375 on a video card upgrade, but when you're replacing the CPU and GPU you're not getting enough time for your money.

#5 Duds38

Duds38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:01 PM

Thanks for the info guys, this has helped hugely.  It is the correct motherboard. I had looked at the core 2 quad 6700 but wanted to be sure there wasn't a better one before I bought it. I struggle to work out whys suitable and what isn't when Googleing it. I think I have a 550w pus but I'm guessing I need bigger?

I also have 2 x 2gb ram which I believe is all that mother board can have but for some reason only 2.5gb shows up. Is this normal?

Duds

#6 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,284 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 03:08 PM

Depending on what OS your running and your video situation.  If you're running a 32-bit OS the maximum you can see is 4GB, but due to the way Windows works you see about 3.5GB.  If your video card shares system RAM then you lose the amount of RAM it is using.

#7 Drew1903

Drew1903

• Banned
  • 1,052 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:24 PM

Personal opinion is that if you're spending almost $400 to upgrade an ancient machine you might want to put that money towards a newer machine.  It is one thing to spend $375 on a video card upgrade, but when you're replacing the CPU and GPU you're not getting enough time for your money.

Depending on what OS your running and your video situation.  If you're running a 32-bit OS the maximum you can see is 4GB, but due to the way Windows works you see about 3.5GB.  If your video card shares system RAM then you lose the amount of RAM it is using.

The sensible thing for what you want to do w/ a computer is a new 64 bit machine.  Be better, smarter money than spent "upgrading" that old hardware.  I stopped right @ the 775 socket part.  If your going to talk M/Bs, GPUs & CPUs whilst restricted by an old x86 platform... no.  You will want RAM that x86 cannot even use.  When assembling components they should/must all jibe w/ each other AND w/ what the intended usage is.  Money, especially, right now, would be better bang-for-your-buck spent on a new Windows 10 machine.

Edited by Drew1903, 06 July 2015 - 10:25 PM.

#8 Duds38

Duds38
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 03:52 AM

Ok, thanks. If I chose to start from scratch what type of motherboard would I go for bearing in mind I don't have a lump some of cash to buy a gaming pc outright. I would probably have to start buying piece by piece?. I'm not after a top spec gaming pc at the moment just something that would run games like elder scrolls online for as cheap as possible. I am researching this myself but looking for advice on the best way to go.

Cheers guys.

Duds

#9 JerkyMcDilerino

JerkyMcDilerino

• Banned
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Before of building new PC can you please answer this two questions?

1) What is your budget if you are planning to build one?

2) What country or city are you in? Because prices may different, as one might higher and one might lower. For instance, Canada prices might be higher compare where i live which is US. 

Edited by JerkyMcDilerino, 07 July 2015 - 06:19 AM.

#10 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:40 PM

If you are planning on starting a new PC build, I encourage you to start a new thread in this forum since you would no longer be upgrading an older machine.  If you are buying a new motherboard, you're effectively buying a new PC, everything will be new.  That is, with the exception of the case (So long as it is a standard mid-ATX or full ATX side), hard drives (If they are less than five years old), and optical drive. 

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users