Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory card now transfers slowly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cornflakes2

cornflakes2

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:11 AM

I've been using a micro sd card with sd adapter for my laptop for a year or so with no transfer rate issues.  But recently, I noticed the transfer speed has slowed down and it takes much longer now.

Is this most likely an issue with a) the micro sd card, B) the adapter, or c) the laptop sd card slot?

Is there any way to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:37 AM

How slow is slow? What's the file transfer speeds you're getting? What model? What class? Is it USB 2.0 or 3.0? Is it full? What format is it? Do you transfer small files or large files? Are you running a multiple USB devices?

#3 AlicePhoebe

AlicePhoebe

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 05:14 AM

Try setting the drives for quick removal rather than "optimized". Though the cache may be useful for drives that are frequently accessed and provide greater speeds, the cache may slow down actual file transfers.
Do you see "enhanced" USB drivers in Device Manager?
How about other devices - do you have better speeds with them? And have you tried a different reader? Sometimes readers that are cheap don't actually support what they claim, sometimes I think more due to translation problems sometimes that actual deception. Readers are not quite all the same.

#4 cornflakes2

cornflakes2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 228 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:06 AM

I'm using a sandisk adapter, with 32 gb micro sd sandisk ultra class 10, on usb 2.0 speeds (at least it always used to transfer at 2.0 speed).   It is in NTFS format.  I usually transfer video files between 50mb to as much as 1.5 gb in file size per file.

I've transferred with no problems for years doing this but suddenly it has just become slow.  I don't know exactly what speed it's transferring at but for example, it used to take me only a minute or 2 to transfer like 4-5gb off the card but now it takes me 7-10 minutes.  Sometimes it'll say 2 minutes remaining it looks to be going at a good rate but then suddenly the reading tells me it will take 8 minutes now after 20-25% transferred.

It's the same card and same card reader I've been using so it was transferring before fine, just don't know why it just suddenly now transfers slowly.

#5 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:20 PM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 08:13 PM

A class 10 is 10MB. I probably has some degradation after using it for a year. NTFS has more overhead for journaling and file encryption. Larger files you might get better performance with exfat. Also try changing the performance. Go to start type devmgmt.msc right click the usb drive and change it to better performance. However, on performance you have to detach the flash drive poperly or you could get data loss.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users