Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

EXCEL CANNOT OPEN .xlsx FILE

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 vinx

vinx

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:53 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:57 AM

Hi! 

Good day!

May I ask another way how to resolve my file problem,

"excel cannot open the file <filename>.xlsx because the file format or file extension is not valid. verify that the file has not been corrupted and that the file extension matches the format of the file."

• I already try the "Open and Repair" method of MS Excel 2007 and still cannot open the file.
  • I cannot change the extension by renaming it. (I'm using Win7)
  • I already checked the associated file extension on control panel.

Thank you in advance!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:53 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 10:48 PM

What version of Excel do you have?  Usually that error comes from Excel 2002.  You can upgrade to 2003 (MS Office 2003) at Amazon for $50 or less, and then download the free 'fileconverters.exe' from Microsoft, which enables an older MS Office to read the later files.

I know this, because it happens to me all the time, what happened to you.  So finally I took the plunge and upgraded to MS Office 2003, on all my machines.

The upgrade will accept all your customizations, macros, etc. so the interface looks the same, post upgrade, because it will import all your Normal.dot settings.  Difference is, that 'fileconverters.exe' will work in 2003, but not 2002.

.xlsx is Excel 2007 and later (secure, the extra 'x') format.  So I don't see how you'd get that error if you're really using 2007.  The only other possibility, is that someone password protected it, yet somehow you're not getting the password prompt.

I guess it's also possible that the file was generated by some other later version of MS Office which prohibits 2007 from reading it, but I can't see why.  This is just a very wild guess.

Edited by brainout, 10 July 2015 - 10:52 PM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users