Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Three great other programs/apps

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:56 PM

For business or pleasure, just found these and man they will help me get my work done now:

ZTREEWIN  (or here) -- remember that great 'explorer' for files, Xtree Gold?  I lived on it with my DOS machines, and now there is a version for Windows!  Compatible through 8.1, this little baby is the best file manager ever.  Takes awhile to learn, has a DOS interface but you can use your mouse instead, wonderfully FAST versus the moribund and useless (post-XP) Windows File Explorer.  Well, the latter has its place too, but in Win7/8 it's a nightmare.

Cost is $30 per machine, well worth it, considering how much TIME it saves. Discount of nearly 20% and higher if you purchase five or more.  And once you see how great it is, you'll want one on every machine.  I wish they had a version for Linux, which has the worst file managers ever invented.

I want to marry this program.  It's saved my bacon on my DOS machines so many times, and is the fastest way to specify files for copy or backup, and much much more. Downside is that you've so many options, it will take a good month to learn how to use it. But the site gives you lots of help, has a great README you'll want to append as a sticky note to your computer.  If you remember the program, it still operates the same way, except now you can use your mouse!  Well, you could in the old version too, but this version is much more precise.

ZTREE's biggest asset imo is its ability to mass copy, move, display; and to find things using the old DOS technique of * and ? .  As you may know, in Windows your luck using those wildcards is spotty at best.  In Win7 et seq., you have to index the files or put them in Libraries to enable any decent search.  Putting partitions that are not the C drive in Libraries can trash your Win7 machine if something happens to that partition, am going through that problem now (see my post on Cloning and partitions).

Back to ZTREE.  It has versions going all the way back to Win95 (so I need that one too).  Comes in three flavors:  Win95-98, NT through Win8, and then something for OS/2 and eComStation.  Will be doing a video on it in my PC World Alumni forum sometime later.

Next app, for XP or prior users:  Dema Virtual Notes, which comes in different languages you can change on the fly, after installation.  One of the many nice features in Win7 and 8 (yes, there are nice features in 8) is the ability to make sticky notes. This program does them one better, but I'm not sure it will operate well in 7 (it seems designed for Vista, backward).

Finally, Lazarus, an add-on for Firefox.  (Search on it in your browser and install it that way.)  It saves what you type in forms, so if some glitch at a forum or website or your fingers suddenly takes you out of the form before you saved/hit Enter -- you can retrieve what you typed.  As you may have learned, some input boxes won't let you copy or paste, so you can't do the normal fallback of first composing in Notepad and then pasting.  This is true of US Government forms, and frankly within the next two-three years, every American will have to do his forms online or hire someone to do it for him.  (For a price, naturlich.)

Analogous to the venerable DOS/Linux type buffer, this program 'remembers' your keystrokes.  Once you've installed it, you can't see it.  Yet as you'll see if you right-click while in an input box, you now have two context-menu options, 'retrieve text' or 'retrieve form' (like, my initial post of this topic, pre-editing).

You can't see that 'retrieve text' feature UNLESS in an input box. But it's better than nothing.

For those of us who have to do hundreds of tax returns online with the US Government, this is a godsend.  But then again, don't you type in forums, magazine comments, etc.? -- so, a godsend for you too.

Hope these little puppies make your day, as you have made mine!

Edited by brainout, 06 July 2015 - 12:43 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 brainout

brainout
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 10:55 AM

BEST ZTree Win INSTALLATION TIP:  When prompted for the installation location, pick a usb stick.  That way you can use it anywhere.  If you're a member of this forum, you probably are inundated with folks wanting help on their computer stuff.  Like me, you have folks around you who can barely SPELL 'computer'.  Sooner or later, you'll need to visit them or they will send you a machine to 'look at'.  Yeah, and that's when this puppy becomes valuable.  For it leaves no footprint.  You can create bookmarks or shortcuts too, so the NEXT time Joe needs help with some adware he downloaded, you've got your shortcuts saved in the 'JoeProblems' file, not on his machine.  :grinner:

I'm guessing that as a result, it can be run from Linux.  Which a Linux user desperately needs, for the search function in Linux isn't that good, either.  (At least, my experience has not been good when searching with wildcards.)  Moreover, this puppy has a 'global' function like old Dos, where you can search on say, all files starting with 'de' and then hit 'g' for 'global', and just those files are ALL displayed.  If instead you typed nothing as the search ('filespec'), then you get EVERYTHING on that drive, which you can choose to sort alpha, numeric, per folder or without (you can detach the path so just show results globally on the filespec).

You do have to 'log' the drives you want first, but since the program is only limited by your RAM, you could conceivably log (kinda like 'mount') all the attached drives and then do 'global' and see ALL the files (or just those of your 'filespec') at once. Sort them with or without path, by name, date, etc.  You can't do that, in Windows GUI.  Well, not anymore.

So hassle with indexing, the ribbon, or a million other problems with Windows Explorer.

It takes up 443 MB, installed.  Handy tool to put on some bootable stick.

A friend at PC World suggested this program to me some years back, and like a dufus I forgot, though I've used the DOS version of the program for years.  So much time lost.  Shutting up now, sounding preachy.

Edited by brainout, 06 July 2015 - 11:57 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users