Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse & keyboard not working after shutdown and bootup into W7

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

Every time I shut down Ubuntu 14.04 LTS and then boot up into Windows 7, my mouse and keyboard don't work until the next time I get into Windows (after pressing reset button). This is quite annoying. How do I fix this?  :unsure:

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 307 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:51 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:32 AM

. . . boot up into Windows 7, my mouse and keyboard don't work until . . . after pressing reset button . . . 

I have encountered this on Windows computers that do not have Linux installed.

The issue is that Windows does not recognize the "Human Interface" device needed to use the USB mouse or keyboard.  

In some cases, simply waiting for Windows to auto detect the hardware, and activate the drivers is enough.  Although I have seen machines take up to 5 min for this to happen.  In other cases, it just does not happen or takes even longer.  (After 5 min I will just reboot the machine.)

I suggest the following, which cures Windows of not recognizing any USB device correctly.

Shut down, and power off.

Unplug the AC power and wait 30 to 60 seconds for any capacitors to discharge.

Plug the computer back in and boot it up again.

Windows should now refresh all USB devices on boot up.

Cheers!

Naught.

#3 gigawert

gigawert
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:51 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 12:36 PM

OK.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users