Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Media and AVS Audio Editor - how to repair audio codecs

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 ry1633

ry1633

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

Hi all,

I need some help: I am trying troubleshoot my Audio Codecs in Windows Media Player (on a Windows 7/64 bit system) as a part of troubleshooting a problem with another piece of software I'm using -- AVS4You Audio Editor --  I believe something with the codecs or related issue is causing that AVS issue to hang, and their support seems to think so also

Whenever I open Windows Media Player and go to Help --> About Windows Media Player --> and try to click on the "Technical Support Information" to view my codecs, WMP always freezes up and will never load the next screen so I can't ever troubleshoot or otherwise view my codecs. I've tried about 10 times now and it always hangs on that step.

I've tried all of these and *none* of them have worked -

1. Uninstalled and Reinstalled Windows Media Player from the Control Panel/Windows Components

2. Clean reboots with and without power cycling

3. Clean all spyware and viruses - using Spybot and Avast

4. Cleaned and repaired Windows Registry with CCleaner and AVS Registry cleaner

5. Repaired Windows Media Player with Microsoft FIX-IT tools for WMP and Codec Repair

6. Physically found all *.acm codec files in Windows/System32, deleted them and forced WMP to find and re-scan

7. Hacked out all the references to "codec" and "Windows Media" that I could find.

8. Ran "sfc /scannow" from the CMD prompt - it either finishes with no errors,  or errors out at 24% and doesn't finish

I'm a total loss on how else to repair and clean my WMP codecs because after all of those WMP still hangs just as soon as I try to click the "Technical Support Information" link. If anyone has any other tips to repair WMP and their codecs, I would really cherish some help smile.gif  -R

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

If you have a "codec" problem of any sort...the simple solution is to install an appropriate codecs package.  The original codec package installed with WMP is not adequate for all types of video files.

Using any "registry cleaner" is definitely a wrong step.

Your errors with sfc /scannow...are a source of concern, IMO.

I'm trying to understand...why you think that removing all evidence of codecs...is a step forward to resolving anything.  Do you know what codecs are and why they are needed?

FWIW:  http://netforbeginners.about.com/od/multimedia/f/codec.htm

Louis

#3 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:16 AM

well, the original problem goes deeper.  I use AVS Audio Editor and have for years.   But for some reason, I can't get it to load - it freezes on the first splash screen.  It has never done this before in all the years I've used it.  Their support team tells me that the problem is related to my audio codecs with Windows Media Player.  But every time I try to look at the list of codecs in WMP - it freezes up.

When I go to my Components window from msinfo32.exe -- the Audio Codecs are blank.

#4 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:08 PM

Could it be possible that my hard drive is going bad.  It's the original drive in a Dell M5110 that's 3+ years old.      Two possible clues:  1)  sfc /scannow never finishes from the command prompt and 2) when I run Dell Diagnostic test on my whole system it says that it's possible my hard drive could be failing and advises me to replace it soon.

BUT... my computer functions completely fine otherwise (other than the audio Codec/AVS Audio Editor/Windows Media Player issue).  No weird errors, no random crashes or reboots, or anything like that.

Edited by ry1633, 15 July 2015 - 02:09 PM.

#5 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:23 PM

If you have a Dell system...ran the Dell Diagnostics...and were advised to replace/prepare for a failed hard drive...you should have assumed that they were not kidding you with that advice.

You can confirm the deteriorating state of your hard drive by running another, different diagnostic tool...but the Dell Diagnostic is considered conclusive for that purpose on Dell systems.

Louis

#6 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 04:29 PM

OK.  I just found it odd that the computer doesn't exhibit any other strange symptoms that would be indicative of impending hard drive failure.      If I wouldn't have run that Dell Diagnostic tool,  I'd have never guess my hard drive was failing because there were no other indicators other than when I was troubleshooting the Audio Codec problem the sfc /scannow would never finish.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,546 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2015 - 06:07 PM

I would guess...that there are errors reflected in Event Viewer...that would have pointed to hard drive problems, if you had looked there.  Key words would be any mention " controller error" or "hard drive".

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users