Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spybot Proxy server settings and Actiontec GT701-WG

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ry1633

ry1633

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:00 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:36 PM

I've been working on a relative's computer who has Spybot 2.4 on a Windows 7/64 bit machine.    Their wireless router is an older ACTIONEC GT701 - WG.   

I am unable to get into the router's web access loopback at http://192.168.0.1 - it tells me that Spybot is blocking the port.  Problem is that when I go into Spybot settings and disable its port - then I can't get out to any web page at all anywhere - Spybot blocks all websites once I turn its proxy off.  So I'm kind of stuck :)  What do I do?

Edited by ry1633, 05 July 2015 - 07:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:44 PM

Wrong ip address...

is the correct loopback address.

#3 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:46 PM

sorry that was typo on my part. I did mean 192.168.0.1 - and I've already tried that.   I will fix it in the post.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:51 PM

I've not used SpyBot before... but normally the correct way to permit an address is to "allow" on a proxy, rather than to "disable".

#5 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:53 PM

I've also allowed the standard Internet Explorer proxy server port 880 (I can't remember exactly which one...)  - doesn't matter.  Any way I've tried it only gives 2 outcomes - either I can't hit the loopback and admin tools of the router,  or every page is blocked.

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:57 PM

I would like to point out also that since version 1.6 SpyBot has been generally buggy and considered bloatware by many... there are far more effective and lightweight tools than this.

so... to try and establish a better alternative for you.

Why are you setting up a proxy?

What is your desired outcome?

What's your tech ability like?

#7 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:14 PM

I've been a steadfast user of Spybot for the better part of 10 years - I use it because I like it and always have.

To answer your questions...

1.  I'm not - it was already the default setting when I installed it

2.  I just need to get into the Actiontec router settings via the loopback - and Spybot's default proxy setting doesn't allow it whether I turn it off or not.

3. Professional level - have worked in IT full or part time for 18 years including currently.

reminder that this is *not* for my own computer, this is for a relative's

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,233 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:35 PM

Sounds like a bug... it really does. I've been reading about SpyBot (as it used to be very well respected), but the application has been plagued by problems and issues for quite some time now.

I could suggest more advanced options for you, but as you said it is for a relative...

If you are keen on installing a free 3rd party firewall and malicious file detection application I would suggest Comodo, though there are other alternatives that will give you the same performance.

IME 3rd party firewalls are not necessary though, for most users, and for extended protection all that is required is a live anti-malware application to run alongside Windows Firewall and your AV of choice. Malwarebytes is a very popular choice for this recently. Though the real-time protection doesn't have that wonderful "$free" tag on it. 

I understand I'm not helping you to solve your problem here.... I'm just leading out, to give someone else the chance to help you. Should a solution be available.

#9 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:00 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 09:58 PM

For me it's easy - Program A isn't doing what it supposed to do. I get a remover for said program and get it off my PC.

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#10 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 07:41 PM

loopback address is 127.0.0.1

routers address to its web page is 192.168.0.1 which you will note is also the gateway for the lan.

Now that we have our terms correct I have to ask why is any "proxy" being used on the local lan?  This provides no protection unless the thought is to deny all web pages and then yes that does make it secure if not useless :-)

You also don't "disable" ports.  You enable them by putting them on the Allow list or in other terms "its OK list".  The whole 192.168.0.0/24 subnet should be in the allow list.  Then you would have no problems accessing the routers web interface.

#11 ry1633

ry1633
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 11:11 PM

Wand3r3r,

Maybe I wasn't being clear and if not I apologize.

1.   The default setting in Spybot SD is to use their proxy (updates, immunization, and protection).  It was always set that way from when I installed it;  and so I left it that way all this time.

2. as per #1 above - I could never get it to connect to the router's address with that setting (see #1) left on.  129.168.0.1 would always time out -- and then Windows network Troubleshooter would return an error on some WIndows port like 2130 or 21230, but I can't remember which one and I don't have the machine in front of me

3. So when I go back into Spybot and uncheck any and all proxy settings thereby turn anything proxy-related *off* inside Spybot,  then the browser won't go out to any web site at all.   It returns an error that says Spybot is blocking this or something like that.

#12 czarboom

czarboom

• Members
  • 608 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 01:50 AM

when you turn off Spybot, did you go into command prompt and clear out the dns, ip4 and ipv6 settings and renew everything?

Do you just use IPv4 or does the Isp run v6 also? 

VPNs can force settings, so that might be why?  Try turning it all off, run CMD as an Admin, (right click, run as admin)

For Ipv4 use

use ipconfig /release

ipconfig /renew

for v6 change after / to

/release6

/renew6

The dump and renew the DNS settings.

Not saying this will work, but usually its a good go to when your connection is out of VPN.  You should also stop and delete Spybot (make sure you have the disc or program it reinstall it), and see if it will run without Spybot on your computer at all.  Use CCleaner to get ride of any old registry files after uninstall.

good luck

cz

CZARBOOM 

"Never Stop Asking Questions, Question Your Environment, Question Your Government, above all Question Yourself.  We all lose when you Stop asking Why?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users