Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! No safe mode and can't get on computer. .

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Nelliefar

Nelliefar

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:10 PM

I have an Alienware x51 andromeda with windows 7.
I clicked on a bad link and got bombarded by spyware and viruses.
I then tried my usual trick of pressing f8 to go into safe mode but got an endless black screen
So I went into normal mode and tried to enter safe mode via mscnfg. It restarted into the endless black screen and now I am just stuck there.
I don't have a back up disk and had wiped my computer in the past via other methods. Had a virus a few years back.
The computer never came with one .
This is bad. My only computer and this sucks!!!

Edited by hamluis, 06 July 2015 - 07:38 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Am I Infected - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Nelliefar

Nelliefar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:26 PM

Also if computer is fubar what component do I need to replace? Hard drive?

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:32 PM

If what you have is a malware infection then no, you would not have to replace the hard drive. Do you have access to another computer? Press F8 at boot and select Use Last Known Good Configuration.

#4 Nelliefar

Nelliefar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:24 PM

Well I can not do that because I can't get into the computer at all
Whatever it was blocked my virus scan and kept me from going into safe mode
Think this may be pretty bad

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,650 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 08:54 PM

You can either remove the drive and attach it to another computer using a USB enclosure or create a bootable linux distro like Puppy on another computer and use that with a external drive to copy your data. I believe you can order recovery disks from Dell but I am not sure what they cost.

Tapping F12 at boot will bring up the Dell Diagnostics. This would tell you if you have a hardware problem.

Another option is to burn a Kaspersky Rescue Disk and do a scan, hoping that it would clean the drive enough to allow you to boot. Connecting the computer via Ethernet will allow the database to be updated. You would still need another computer to download and burn the iso file. You can also use the Kaspersky Resue Disk to copy files from the hard drive.

#6 Nelliefar

Nelliefar
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 11:20 PM

Ya no other computer. I've rescued computers before. This was so different than anything I've dealt with. I've tried the f12 and all of that.
I'm not comfortable trying to use the hard drive after I saw how fast that virus ate my system.
I am going to look into getting an operating system disk from the manufacturer.
Either that or just upgrading my operating system

I am more upset at how stupid I was to trust someone I didn't know from a gaming website
I just played the perfect victim
Lesson learned
And I have my smart phone from the internet

I guess now I have the perfect excuse to crack open the case and start upgrading. This mini tower was critisized when it first came out but it is an awesome computer.

Thanks for the help !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users