Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

computer hangs on chkdsk-can't reboot

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coupster00

coupster00

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:54 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:28 PM

I'm running a 5 year old Dell XPS 7100 with windows 7 home premium.  Have a ATI Radeon HD 5040 SATA 1 TB hard drive that I know has some issues.  Windows is up to date with all systems updates downloaded as necessary.The system was working fine, but the hard drive seemed to spin forever.  Did a Dell Diagnostic scan on the hard drive and the error code 0F00:065D resulted. 

Decided to run chkdsk to see if i could find and fix the error which I think was a huge mistake.  After chkdsk ran for alomst a day and didn't finish, I hard restarted my computer thinking it was stuck.  I now know that doing that (after I subsequently read all the forum posts) was probably a bad thing to do.  When I restarted the computer it went right back to doing a chkdsk and it seems to have frozen again at stage 4 of 5 with no movement at all.

Stupidly, I have not backed up my files on the C drive and need to know what to do next to get back to my desktop and get my computer and files backed up before the drive fails completely, if it's already not too late.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 07:08 PM

That code indicates a failing hard drive and yes, doing a chkdsk on it was not a good thing to do. Your best chance now of recovering anything is to remove the drive and put it in an USB enclosure. Attach it to another computer and try to recover your files.

Another way is to download a linux distro like Puppy linux and burn it to a CD or create a bootable USB flash drive with Rufus. Boot to the Puppy desktop. You will see hard drive icons in the lower left of the Puppy desktop. They will be labeled sda ...sdb depending on how many hard drives you have on the computer. They will be labeled sda1...sda2...sda3 depending on the number of partitions on the disk.

Click once on the hard drive icon. If you do not see your Windows files then close on the File Manager and click on another icon. For Windows 7 the windows partition will probably be labeled sda2. Click once on it and a File Manager Window will open. Attach another USB flash or external drive. A USB icon will appear on the desktop. Click once on it and another File Manager will open. You can highlight files/folders on the hard drive by holding Ctrl and left clicking or windowing around the folders/files. Drag the files from the hard drive File Manager to the USB flash or external hard drive File Manager. A small dialog window will open asking if you want to copy or move. Select copy and check the quiet button.

If you cannot copy or see any files then chkdsk may have damaged the file system enough where you cannot recover anything. Good Luck

#3 coupster00

coupster00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 08:46 AM

Used your suggestion and ran Puppy Linux and created a boot disc.  Allowed me to get to the hard drive and have been able to save all files.  Thank you for the help.  Now off to buy a new computer.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 02:35 PM

Your Welcome, and thanks for the update.

Just a note: Kaspersky Rescue Disk is based on linux. If you create it and scan the hard drive you may be able to get the computer functional again. If not you can use Puppy to wipe the drive and then put the drive in an USB enclosure to back up your data on the new computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users