Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Randomly Freezing

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:17 PM

I've had this issue since January but its very on and off so its not bothered me too much, but in the past few days I've started playing Payday 2 and its increased tenfold so would love to finally figure out what it is.

Every so often, my computer will just freeze. Nothing goes blank, no BSOD or anything it all just freezes and I have to hold power down to shut it down each time. Back in February I decided to upgrade my system a bit and hoped this issue would go but it seems to be following me :(

I upgraded my Motherboard/PSU/CPU then so the only things that have been around since the first few issues are RAM and GPU. Not sure how to give you specs but I've got this image:

nC7FG2j.png

I've ran tests on my system a few times like MemTest86 and 3DMark to see if it said anything. I've also clean installed my PC a few times over that point and reseated my RAM and made sure things are all connected properly. I'm at a loss whats causing this, and it doesn't help that nothing is logged when it freezes. Event Viewer just says "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. " but no errors beforehand and it doesn't seem any crash dumps are being recorded as that last one is back in April.

Any help or things I could try would be great!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 04:21 PM

Let's start with this report please:

Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on Administrative Events
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2015 - 05:00 PM

- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

File attached :)

Played a bit today, temp stayed around the image on my first post. CPU went to 62 and GPU to 50 but nothing higher.

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:17 AM

Things are really messed up in the Admin log - but there's no firm evidence of any one particular cause.

Let's have a look at this set of reports (even though you're not experiencing BSOD's):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

While waiting, please start on these free hardware diagnostics:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Please be sure to run the Antivirus scans as malware is a possibility here.

Edited by usasma, 07 July 2015 - 04:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 12:20 PM

Let's have a look at this set of reports (even though you're not experiencing BSOD's):  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

Attached. Running Antivirus now but I do this often anyway.

I'll go through those bits and pieces on the carrona site in a sec, left some running earlier.

Edit* No malware, succeeded on the CPU stress, GPU didn't hit anywhere near 90 on stress and memory tested all fine.

Attached Files

Edited by ItsTehShadow, 07 July 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:42 PM

What about Prime95 and the hard drive tests?

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F1) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.

Only 262 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

You have both a wired and a wireless device connected to your network.  Are you using some sort of bridging device?

Please disable the wireless and use the wired connection while we're troubleshooting.

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

Only 1 entry in the WER section of MSINFO32.  Have you been using a disk cleaning program (such as CCleaner)?

If so, please stop while we're troubleshooting.

Lot's of Microsoft Lync errors - please uninstall it temporarily to see if that helps

Lot's of Search service errors - please disable that temporarily to see if that helps

There's also a lot of SChannel errors that state: "The following fatal alert was received: 80"

These tend to be related to networking security errors, but the 80 error is generally something that (IMO) is due to a malfunctioning/corrupt driver.

Please update the drivers for the wired and wireless devices.

Please remove the Microsoft Office programs entirely.  Then, if needed, reinstall a fresh copy but leave Lync out for now.

#7 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2015 - 06:37 PM

What about Prime95 and the hard drive tests?

Hard drive completed fine, I'll have to run Prime tom maybe as it has to run for so long.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F1) dates from 2013.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.

Updated to F2

Only 262 Windows Updates installed.  Most systems have 300 or more.  Please visit Windows Update and get ALL available updates (it may take several trips to get them all).

Did all the updates and rechecked a few times. Its only done around 10 though.

You have both a wired and a wireless device connected to your network.  Are you using some sort of bridging device?

Please disable the wireless and use the wired connection while we're troubleshooting.

I have a wireless card in my PC for when I didn't have an Ethernet cable which I now do, its just there both connected at same time currently. Disabled wireless.

You have 3 hard drives.  What is the make/model/wattage and age of your Power Supply?

Corsair - 650W - CP-9020077-UK Builder

Additional: Uninstalled Office completely, disabled search, uninstalled CC, updated any drivers I can think of :)

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:46 AM

Now we wait to see if it freezes.

If it does, then let's have a look at the reports again.

#9 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 06:34 PM

If it does, then let's have a look at the reports again.

Yep crashed twice again tonight  :(

Attached Files

Edited by ItsTehShadow, 08 July 2015 - 06:35 PM.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2015 - 07:38 PM

OK, this is gonna be painful (it's likely to take a long time with a lot of little steps in-between).

Uninstall Android USB driver

Uninstall USB Charger (presumably the GIGABYTE On/Off Charger driver)

Test again.

If it freezes again, submit a fresh copy of the Admin.zip file.

#11 ItsTehShadow

ItsTehShadow
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2015 - 02:34 PM

Just posting to say I haven't fell off the face off the planet, I just haven't been able to get onto the PC to confirm if it still freezes. Will do soon :)

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 July 2015 - 05:01 AM

Not a problem.  I get an email when you post back to this topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users