Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chkdsk freezes can't boot up

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 coupster00

coupster00

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 03:22 PM

I'm running a 5 year old Dell XPS 7100 with windows 7 home premium.  Have a ATI Radeon HD 5040 SATA 1 TB hard drive that I know has some issues.  Windows is up to date with all systems updates downloaded as necessary.The system was working fine, but the hard drive seemed to spin forever.  Did a Dell Diagnostic scan on the hard drive and the error code 0F00:065D resulted. 

Decided to run chkdsk to see if i could find and fix the error which I think was a huge mistake.  After chkdsk ran for alomst a day and didn't finish, I hard restarted my computer thinking it was stuck.  I now know that doing that (after I subsequently read all the forum posts) was probably a bad thing to do.  When I restarted the computer it went right back to doing a chkdsk and it seems to have frozen again at stage 4 of 5 with no movement at all.

Stupidly, I have not backed up my files on the C drive and need to know what to do next to get back to my desktop and get my computer and files backed up before the drive fails completely, if it's already not too late.

Please help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 05:15 PM

Do you have any other computers? If so, you might be able to take out your HDD and then get an HDD data restoration kit (also known as a sata to usb adapter). Then you could hook that up to your other PC.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

#3 coupster00

coupster00
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:32 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:18 PM

Is this the only suggestion you have?  I was kind of thinking there was a way to get past the chkdsk issue and somehow repair the system to allow me to access the desktop.

#4 gigawert

gigawert

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 06:26 PM

Maybe try defragmenting the disk.

John 3:16

"God loved the world so much that He gave His uniquely-sired Son, with the result that anyone who believes in Him would never perish but have eternal life."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users