Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Stalling

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 compaq_7360

compaq_7360

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 AM

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:35 PM

i have just recently experienced problems with my desktop that i built 2 years ago. i am running windows xp professional, i have an amd athlon 2.16 ghz processor, and 640 mb of ram. last week i was playing solitaire and i wasnt even connected to the net because i was in the process of re-networking my home network. it locked up as soon as i clicked something, which is very strange, because in the 2 years i have had it i have had 0 problems with this tower. i shut it down and booted it back up and it gave me a keyboard error, so i connected a usb keyboard and it went away. now when i try to boot it up, it will go through bios and sit at a black screen for as long as i will let it. i turned it on friday morning when i left for work, worked 12 hours, came home and it was at that same black screen. could my hard drive be corrupt? something go bad in my motherboard? i have 6 coolent fans installed in the case with plenty of ventillation, so i highly doubt it could have over heated. i tried reseting the mother board. i unplugged everything, took out the mother board, took the battery out of it, and let it sit on my kitchen table since friday, reconnected everything today, and same thing, only it tends to get to the black screen a little quicker now, so i dont even get a chance to read anything that comes up in bios. what are my options?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:56 PM

Your options may be a bit limited.

First, I think I'd try a memory test. But for that, you need a memory tester - you can use either Memtest 86 or Microsoft Memory Tester. You'll need to use another computer to make the disk, burning it from an .iso file that you download. Then, you need to get into your computer and run setup and once in the BIOS set it to run from the CD. Then the memory test will run - let it run quite a while - even overnight - to check for errors. This does not use the operating system, but runs on its own.

That's just in case the memory went bad.

If the memory test comes up with no problems, then you have to look deeper. Sometimes a drive or video card or soundcard will fail the hardware test and the operating system just won't start. At this point, I think I'd try using the XP disk to get into the repair console and repair the boot sector.

The big problem is the lack of error messages. A blue screen would give an error, but it doesn't seem to be getting that far, so I'm thinking hardware. Since you can see the BIOS thing - I'd guess your video card has some functionality and the computer is trying to boot. But one piece of hardware, such as a drive or video card or memory that's gone bad can keep it from starting. The clue that makes me think it might be the memory is that you had the problem while in Windows for no apparent reason that started this all off.

This could also indicate that the power supply is going bad and has damaged the memory. The power supply fan is working OK, right?

#3 compaq_7360

compaq_7360
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2006 - 01:52 PM

yes, the powersupply is working fine. i put my mother board, and hard drive in another case with a different powersupply that works, and nothing. i thought of the memory thing, and took the 512 stick and the 128 stick of ram out and but a 256 stick in, and it still did it. im not too sure though if its not my hard drive because i plugged in a hard drive with windows 98 loaded on it, and i know that there is a problem with that hard drive, but it atleast shows the windows 98 boot screen in all my other computers and that is as far as it got. my processor is beeping and going through its whole thing, so i have no idea what it coule be

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 01:49 AM

When you say "beeping", are you talking about anything more than the one short post beep?

Describe the beeping.
What bios do you have?

Edited by Enthusiast, 11 July 2006 - 01:50 AM.

#5 stidyup

stidyup

• Members
  • 641 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 11 July 2006 - 04:17 AM

If you built the PC yourself you have kept the mobo manual? If so this will give you the beep codes for the bios and should tell you what's wrong, that's if the beeps are occurring as soon as you switch on the PC.

#6 ThorXP

ThorXP

• Banned
  • 880 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2006 - 06:17 AM

If you are getting any beeping this is important and we need what the beep sounds like. One other thing you could do is check to make sure all of the boards are in the slots tightly including the Ram chips. Also when you have the side or top cover off take a can of compressed air and blow out the enclosure especially the CPU heatsink assembly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users