Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spamgourmet questions

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 AM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 01:50 PM

Hi I've been thinking about making an account with Spamgourmet but first I I have some questions.

The first being can I load a Spamgourmet account into Mozilla Thunderbird?

My second questions is can use it to filter spam for free services like YouTube or Crackle?

Also I would love to hear your opinions and experiences regarding Spamgourmet. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

I used spamgourmet in the past, but not recently. It's not an e-mail service.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#3 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 11:37 AM

I used spamgourmet in the past, but not recently. It's not an e-mail service.

So it cant be used to filter spam for YouTube then?

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:51 PM

What do you mean with "spam for YouTube"? Do you receive SPAM e-mails on your personal e-mail address from YouTube?

Spamgourmet offers disposable e-mail addresses. So if you have to provide an e-mail address to a website, company or service, you give your spamgourmet e-mail address in stead of your real address.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:02 PM

It's basically the same as 10MinuteMail from what I can understand, right?

unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 12:41 AM

What do you mean with "spam for YouTube"? Do you receive SPAM e-mails on your personal e-mail address from YouTube?

Spamgourmet offers disposable e-mail addresses. So if you have to provide an e-mail address to a website, company or service, you give your spamgourmet e-mail address in stead of your real address.

I was just using YT as an example I really don't notice any spam form YouTube but I'm not sure about there third party ad partners and the same goes for other free websites. Can you register a account from any website via email or reset your password via email using Spamgourmet?

#7 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,698 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 07:26 AM

Yes, you can do that, but 2 caveats:

1) some website refuse spamgourmet addresses

2) spamgourmet will only forward you a fixed number of e-mails (3 by default), past that number, you will not get your reset password e-mails, unless you change your spamgourmet settings.

Didier Stevens

SANS ISC Senior Handler

#8 SuperSapien64

SuperSapien64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 921 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2015 - 01:11 PM

Thanks Didier Stevens I guess I'll use spamgourmet mainly for surveys or petitions it sounds like it would be a bit of a hassle to use it for services like YouTube or Crackle. Frankly I don't mind the occasional email-advertisement I'm more concerned about solicitation & scam emails which is why I just hope the US passes a anti spam law similar to the one Canada passed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users