Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 8, programs won't open

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Emmarjsj

Emmarjsj

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:10 PM

Lenovo computer was installing windows update all night so in the morning I turned it off (stupidly) and now it starts up and let's me log into my account fine, when I click on a program like chrome a grey screen flashes and then it goes back into the normal screen. This happens for any program. It sometimes just keeps flashing grey. Any advice? I'm quite a novice with things such as this!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,967 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:26 PM

Posted 05 July 2015 - 12:25 PM

Do you have any system images you could restore from? That might be your best solution, if you do. What, if any, other recovery media do you have? Once this issue is fixed then making a system image should be THE FIRST thing you do once your system is working again.

If you do not have a system image or recovery media then using "system restore" might be your best choice, but this sometimes doesn't work, and if system restore goes wrong it can leave windows unable to boot.

What, if any, other information can you give about your problem.

When you try to "open a program" how are you doing it, from the taskbar? from a desktop icon? Can you try finding the exe file fro the program within the folder it is in and openig it from there, see if that works.

Can any programs run at all? What about task manager (ctrl-alt-del) or internet explorer? Can your file explorer run (if it can't you won't be able to browse your documents at all)?

Can you try installing a program and see if that works? Perhaps try uninstalling chrome from the "programs and features" options in control panel and then reinstalling chrome, or leaving chrome as it is for know and installing another program?

Can you try downloading minitoolbox from here http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/minitoolbox/ and see if it can be run? If it will open then tick the option to "list last 10 event viewer errors" and the option to "list installed programs", it will produce a text file containg those lists.

Knowing whether programs run if launched in a way other than from the icon/takbar, and if programs built into windows can run, and if you can install a program and have it run, and if minitoolbox (a run-on-demand exe file program, rather than an installed one) can run, will help diagnose your issue.

It is important to note that turning off a computer during updating can be really damaging to it, in future make sure to let the computer complete it's updating before you turn it off, it might be helpful in future if you set your update settings so that they do not install until you give them permission "check automatically but ask me before downloading or installing" so that you can have them happen at a time which suits you (when putting updates on a setting where they ask your permission before installing make sure to check for updates and see which are being offered every tuesday evening and wednesday morning).

Edited by rp88, 05 July 2015 - 12:36 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#3 malynensi

malynensi

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 06 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

Try reinstalling the windows 8 Operating system on your computer. Or better still upgrade to the new windows 10. Its functions are compatible to the programs that run on windows 8. Including connectivity, (wifi, vpn etc) . 

#4 reckonankit

reckonankit

• Members
  • 86 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 04:50 AM

You can reinstall or refresh your windows 8 PC it will be restore your update also. check your windows update settings that all updates was install correctlt or something is missing here. If you find any update failed then first try to install them

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,370 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:26 AM

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:06 AM

1st.  The best option is a system restore as it will not affect your data or applications.  Use a restore point prior to the update/s.

2nd.  If the system restore doesn't resolve the issue, do a refresh.  You need to be aware that your system settings will be restored to factory default settings.  Your non-Microsoft desktop applications and drivers will be uninstalled, a list of these will be saved to your desktop which will help in reinstalling these.

3rd.  You can reinstall the operating system from the recovery partition.  Some manufacturers provide only a destructive installation.  This will return the operating system to the condition it was in when it came out of the box.  You will lose all of the non-Microsoft programs and applications you have added, you pictures, documents, etc.

There are a few manufacturers who offer a nondestructive reinstallation.  This will not effect your data, pictures, programs and applications, etc.  You will need to do a online search of the model of your Lenovo to see if this is an option.

Edited by dc3, 07 July 2015 - 07:06 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users